BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 AM

Default What's the difference: Southern Baptist, American Baptist....

OK...here's my $100,000 question: What is the difference between the Southern Baptist, American Baptist, Missionary Baptist, Independent Baptist, and any other "Baptist" churches out there?
Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Personalities and money. That's the main thing.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:44 AM

Also the way the denominations are structured to do missions.
The Basic Baptist beliefs are present in each one... (The Baptist Distinctives...google that term for more information)
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
2,000 Posts Club

I know there are many differences between one Baptist church and another. I was told there are over 40 different kinds of Baptist churches, and many of them won't associate with any other Baptist church. In my home city of Battle Creek, MI, there is even a 7th day Baptist.

I was in Fundamental Independent Baptist churches in Michigan and other states. When I moved to Florida I found that the southern Baptist churches are very different from other states.

(1) Very few use the King James Bible; up north they all use it.
(2) People go to Sunday morning service in sandals and shorts in Florida; no one ever did in Michigan.
(3) Finding a church where my singing and song leading talent is need in Florida has been a problem. Up north I never had that problem; ALL the churches needed people with that talent. Up north they couldn't get people to sing. Down here they have an abundance of people to sing and lead the singing. They don't need me and my 45 years experience.
(4) The preaching and teaching in Florida is mediocre at best. Up north it was inspirational and challenging.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM
25,000 Posts Club

[QUOTE=Jon-Marc]

Quote:
This is incorrect

Quote:
(2) People go to Sunday morning service in sandals and shorts in Florida; no one ever did in Michigan.
It is rare in most churches

Quote:
(3) Finding a church where my singing and song leading talent is need in Florida has been a problem. Up north I never had that problem; ALL the churches needed people with that talent. Up north they couldn't get people to sing. Down here they have an abundance of people to sing and lead the singing. They don't need me and my 45 years experience.
Come on down to Apopka we could use ya.

Quote:
(4) The preaching and teaching in Florida is mediocre at best. Up north it was inspirational and challenging.
Incorrect.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Send a message via ICQ to Palatka51

We are Missions focused. Being Missionary Baptist's, if there was human life on the moon we'd go and not spare any expense necessary to get there. Hence the avatar BTW. However I believe that is the goal for the SBC and AB's or any God fearing Baptist.
If men are to be precluded from offering their sentiments on a matter which may involve the most serious and alarming consequences that can invite the consideration of mankind, reason is of no use to us; the freedom of speech may be taken away, and dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter. ~George Washington; Address to officers of the Army (15 March 1783)
====================

Fifty-four years is 28,382,400 minutes and one minute is a long time.....
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
5,000 Posts Club - Formerly SaltCityBaptist

Most Baptists are mission minded.

Southern Baptists support missions thru the Cooperative Program. That is we pool our resources and missionaries are sent out thur Home Missions (North American Missions) and Foreign Missions (International Missions). These missionaries are in essence employees of the SBC and thus are able to go right to the field that the Lord has led. (note: some SBC also support Independent missions as well)

Independent Baptist missionaries will go on deputation for many months if not years to seek partial support from each of several churches. There are dozens of Independent mission boards. Standards vary from board to board. If not mistaken, there may be some missionaries who do not even go under a board.

Some groups have "split" due to Doctrine issues ie Conservative Bap Association, GARBC, ect.

Some Baptists had separate groups due to language, though that is somewhat few and far between now.

There are specific doctrine groups, such as Seventh Day Baptist (worship on Sat), Free Will Baptists - (believe they can loose their salvation)

So hows this for a start?

Here is a good link: ALL ABOUT BAPTISTS

sALTY

"The ... reality... today is that people are dying and going to Hell"
- Bob Jones III

WHEN YOU REMAIN SILENT YOU HAVE SPOKEN

There's nothing more refreshing ... the preacher saying "Open your Bible to"

Last edited by Salty; 10-27-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
8,000 Posts Club

[QUOTE=Revmitchell]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Marc

This is incorrect

It is rare in most churches

Come on down to Apopka we could use ya.

Incorrect.

I love how you say incorrect. And leave it at that. No views to the opposition just incorrect.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Marc
I was in Fundamental Independent Baptist churches in Michigan and other states. When I moved to Florida I found that the southern Baptist churches are very different from other states.

They are better educated in Michigan, or so I am told whenever the topic of funding for education comes up around here, so they have less difficulty reading the Elizabethan English of the KJV.
Quote:
Well duh . . . It gets cold up there and it's hot in Florida.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

I am a Free Will BAPTIST!
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day. John 6:44 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)