1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why do we call him the first black President

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The media is calling Obama the first African-American (whatever that is) President. Others say he is the first Black President.

Why would they use the term Black when Obama is actually a Mulatto

Since I prefer to be precise, I will use the term Mulatto unless someone can show me that I am wrong.

Salty

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

How about he is our first half-black-half-white President?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Works for me, execpt I am lazy.
    Code:
    first half-black-half-white
    is 5 words. Mulatto is only one word:applause:

4. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

well, I am a appalachian-american. How's that?

5. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

How about in not being courteous and respectful?

6. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Hey Me Too! Except I'd say I'm a Scots-Irish-Appalachian-American.:thumbs:

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that mulatto is not a respectful term? The definition of mulatto describes Mr. Obama.

I find that (fill-in-the-blank) -hyphenated - American is offensive to me.

I say that not in jest, but very seriously.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I know what the term means. I still stand by my statement.

I guess if you has a child that had big ears, you would see nothing wrong with other children describing them as the kid with big ears, since you couldn't prove they were not being accurate? It is call having tact and a minimum of class.

If you had any close black friends (something tells me a good bet would be you don't) and they had mixed parents would you introduce them as your mulatto friend?

I think your motive for posting this is pretty clear.

9. Reformer

Reformer New Member

No offence, but why does any of this really matter?

BD.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

But, he is not talking about introducing a friend who happens to have mixed parents. He asked why is everyone (including the media) calling BHO the first black President? Clearly and admittedly BHO is not just a black man. His mother is white and he has an entire white family heritage through her. So why is it that he is all of a sudden simply "black"?

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Sigh, ever since the slave days when the master would "take" the slave girl, and she had child, the child has been considered black. It has been a common standard in this country ever since. When you check that box that asks, African-American, Caucasian, Hispanic, what do you think they check? How many times do you see the option for mulatto?

Someone going out of the way to make a point of stating they will only refer to him as mulatto, is basically calling him not an authentic back man, but rather something less than that.

What saddens me is that here on a Christian board that there are some many people preoccupied with the color of his skin. It really is a big issue for many here.

12. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What will they call the first fully black president? :laugh:

You could call him the first white president and be as correct as first black president - right :thumbs:

From what I have read the mixed folks tend to choose one or the other and stick to one and reject the other. Those that choose to be white are often condemned by the black community because they are rejecting their "blackness" whatever that is. ??????

As has been asked, does it really matter - hes in and I'd guess others will call him a lot worse before its over :thumbs:

13. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

There in is the problem. I am trying to rise above that old slave/master mentality and recognize that he is just as equally a white man as he is a black man.

That is precisely why those govt. forms ought not have any questions regarding one's race. It only fuels the fire and continues the problem of racism in the country.

I'm not defending calling him a mulatto precisely because of the old negative connotations and associations of that word with the slave trade.

It is only an issue with me in so far as they (the media and others) are making him out to be something that he really is not and at the same time ignoring an entire half of who he really is and all the proud family heritage that goes along with it.

#13 Bible-boy, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  14. donnA

donnA Active Member

he's not even actually black, so no he isn't the first black president. but of course he hates white, we saw that when he wrote about his grandmother.

15. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What if he would have been born with prominent white features from say his grandfather of his mother's side. What if he had no black features, what would they have said then?

Just wondering......

One good thing has come out of this though, this should end the Jesse Jackson types and their reign of keeping racism alive since over half of America has proved that skin color does not matter. And of the 46% that voted for McCain we could be pretty sure that at the very least half of them could care less about skin color (i am one of those) so this would give the country at least a 75-25 split in favor of a non-racist country.

Praise God! He has chosen His man for this time in His plan for the country and this world!

I am looking forward to the five hundred dollars. Does anyone know about what time in Obama's term that he will be sending out the checks? I want to get my new car ordered and get enrolled in a good college. :thumbs:

16. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    he's only going to give money to the welfare bloodsuckers.

17. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "That is precisely why those govt. forms ought not have any questions regarding one's race. It only fuels the fire and continues the problem of racism in the country."

I fill out a lot of retail questionaires and they always ask what race, I always click on other and in the box type in American :thumbs:

I also take surveys for points on mypoints.com and when I refuse to answer I am normally kicked out of the survey so they really want that racial background for marketing.

edit to comment on the ad just below from afroromance.com with the shirtless white guy laying on a black gal - Hummmmmmmm

#17 exscentric, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Are we CERTAIN there is no black blood in Bush's line.? Maybe George Bush was the first mulatto President.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

:applause: :applause:

I do that as well. When I have to put a race (it is NONE of the gubmint's business) I always put "Eskimo/Inuit."

At least I screw up the numbers.

20. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "At least I screw up the numbers."
    :laugh::laugh::thumbs: