1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Teacher's comments about McCain, war stir anger

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Nov 7, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.fayobserver.com/special/drudge.html?id=309760

Teacher's comments about McCain, war stir anger

By Francis X. Gilpin
    Staff writer

A Cumberland County school teacher is defending her comments to a fifth-grade pupil who expressed support for John McCain in her class last spring.
    The exchange at Mary McArthur Elementary School was captured by a Swedish television documentary crew, and the video is making the rounds on the Internet including YouTube.

In the video, which reportedly aired in Scandinavia earlier this week, teacher Diatha D. Harris calls the Iraq War “senseless” and tells one student whose father is a soldier that McCain would keep troops there for 100 years.

The classroom discussion begins with Harris asking the class who they support for president. When two students say McCain, she responds with “Oh Lord” and “Oh Jesus.”

2. billwald

billwald New Member

Any teacher sufficiently stupid to stir the pot in front of any TV crew has earned her dismissal.

3. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Is that any different than the way most here treated supporters of Obama? Actually, her response was much more Christian.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

The video was on one of the teacher boards I visit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bvqmY1eM-s

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------edited to add - The comments are awful btw. I'd Bypass them. There were several different postings of this on youtube - but the comments on all of them are not all decent.

edited one more time - I'm talking about the comments BELOW the YouTube - the ones the viewers are adding. Some folks just don't know how to express themselves without being vulgar ;)

#4 mcdirector, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  5. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I didn't really see anything that bad on this video. The teacher kept emphasizing that "it was OK to support either candidate." I think she did get out of line by putting the child on the spot by saying that her father would be in Iraq for another "100 years" if McCain were elected. I also don't think that that she should have been allowed to wear a campaign button in class no matter who she supported. I'm assuming that this is a public school. I don't know what that shot of a church meant at the end. If it meant that this was a private church related school then I suppose the consensus here is she could have done all the things I complained about since there's no problem in mixing church and politics.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

when I mentioned the comments being awful - I meant the comments on YouTube below the video - just in case I wasn't clear. The language in some of them is crass to say the least, which is why James White frequently turns the comments off on his YouTube.

I think her discussion was inappropriate. I do think she showed bias and could have directed the conversation with more neutrality. She also should have called both candidates by their last names.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like most liberals , her actions belied her words.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I must occupy two different planets.She was a bully.I felt so bad for one of the girls who's dad is in Iraq.The teacher certainly intimidated her.If I was her dad I would have been quite upset at that teacher.

So you think that the teacher was rather neutral about supporting either candidate?When two students said they supported John McCain she took the Lord's Name in vain twice!

In addition,her command of English was lacking.What kind of public school would hire her?

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

i watched the video and it is quite evident that she is distrubed that any child would dare to support McCain.

10. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Teachers should not bring politics into the classroom (mainly elementary school). This teacher's actions were out of line mainly considering that Fort Bragg and Pope Air Force Base (82 Airborne) are in Cumberland County which, btw, John McCain won. Most of her students probably have families in the military and she should not have tried to scare them into the thinking that McCain wanted their mothers/fathers in Iraq for 100 years. She was out of line and should be dismissed.

#10 Martin, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008