BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 11-16-2008, 12:10 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Default Ordination Questions?

Does anyone have a link to a set of Ordination questions for one entering pastoral ministry?

I have a few, but I want to do a comparison.

Thank you,
TCG
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
10,000 Posts Club

First of all it is my opinion that neither the ceremony and/or the questions are necessary. God calls the man.

However, it is something that is desirable because Church leadership must protect the flock from the wolves in sheep's clothing.

In my own case it was done privately. I had been the Assistant to the Pastor of the local Church where I was for quite a bit of time.

The Church membership wanted it, the elders (it was a Baptist Church that had elders as well as deacons) wanted it. I agreed but I didn't want it to be public.

There were only a couple of questions because they all knew me.
It was announced to the Church later.

I don't know if it's an urban (church-style) legend or not but when Spurgeon was asked why he didn't want to be ordained he replied "I don't want anyone's empty hands on my empty head".

Anyway the essentials IMO are :

Affirmation of salvation with the candidate's testimony.
Affirmation of the doctrine of the Trinity with a further discussion of the meaning of "the Word became Flesh".
Affirmation of salvation by grace through faith apart from works.
Affirmation of the inspiration and infalliblility of the written Word of God.
Affirmation of OSAS.
Affirmation that God has called the candidate to preach the Gospel.
Affirmation of seeking purity of life.

There are many other qualifiers and I am sure that some will find this list wholly inadequate. It is merely my own opinion. These are at very least essential.

In reality there is probably no adequate list.

Typing in "baptist ordination questions" gives 207,000 links in a GOOGLE search.

NAS 1 Timothy 5:22 Do not lay hands upon anyone too hastily and thus share responsibility for the sins of others; keep yourself free from sin.

HankD

Last edited by HankD; 11-16-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 AM
4,000 Posts Club

If you are a denominational church, you might ask questions about topics that the denomination holds as vital.

We're an SBC church so we ask (once the salvation, biblical inerrancy, person of Christ etc are answered) about cooperative missions, their stand concerning Calvinism, tongues and other "hot topic" questions.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM
6,000 Posts Club

I think ordination questions depend upon who the committee is interviewing. Usually, I make sure that there is a robust investigation into the theology behind the person's calling to ministry. We live in a time where one can simply dial up a website for a faux ordination. Ministers need to be theologically sound and well rooted in their faith.

I suggest two questions:
1. Name the books of the Bible in order from beginning to end.
2. What does salvation mean to you?

These seem to help elludicate where the candidate is coming from.

I can definitely get you a list of my questions from the counsel for my ordination. Many prayers for the council.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek
Does anyone have a link to a set of Ordination questions for one entering pastoral ministry?

I have a few, but I want to do a comparison.

Thank you,
TCG
Check this out.. .here is our (West Virginia Baptist Convention... which is ABC/USA) manual on ordination.
http://wvbc.ab.edu/Ordination%20Web/PDF/Manual.pdf

I had to write a paper covering the subjects in the manual...
For instance here is my doctrinal statement on God...
http://revtinytim.blogspot.com/2008/...inued-god.html

To read more go to http://revtinytim.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html
They are spread out on this page...

After I wrote the paper, I met with the council... who went over the paper with me clarifying what I meant in someplaces.... and then I did a re-write... with the clarifications...

The day of my ordination, I got to read my Doctrinal Statement to the church.. and accepted questions from the council on my paper...

They could only ask questions pertaining to the subjects that I was required to write about. This kept everyone on the same tract.

Then the Council voted... and the service continued.

When my dad was ordained, he didn't have to write a paper... but they set him up front and he had to answer any question the council asked...
on anything.. from questions like, "Where in the Bible is the story of Zacheus" to "tell us what Justification means" ...
He suffered through about 2 hours of random questions...

I feel this is a very ineffective way of measuring someone's ability to minister.

I like the way our denomination does it.. .
More things are revealed and the council really gets to know the candidate!

Last edited by tinytim; 11-16-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:35 PM
15,000 Posts Club

When my husband was preparing to be ordained, we had 9 pastors - 5 who needed to be ordained and 4 that already were. What our senior pastor chose to do was to meet every three weeks and go through the different topics of doctrine. These were from the outline in the book Great Doctrines of the Bible by Evans. Each time they met, they needed to be prepared to teach the particular doctrine and a name would be pulled from a hat. The names were the ordination candidates AND the ordained pastors. So while not everyone had to present their material, they had to be ready to do so. It took them a year and a half to go through it all (because there were some additional topics that were needed to be included as questions and comments were brought up). By the end, they were pretty much completely prepared AND had been in front of other pastors (because we'd have some guest pastors come during these meetings - pastors who we've partnered with and such). The ordained pastors and the other pastors were then the ones to confirm the candidates and ended up there for the ordination and the laying on of hands. It was really neat.

All of the pastors are now doing the same thing working through the issue of interpreting the Bible. It's more study and can be intense but it's a great way for everyone to learn - to study and be ready to teach on the topic. Oh - and whenever they've been picked to teach the topic, they have to field questions from the other pastors who have also studied the topic.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 PM
1,000 Posts Club

Can a church ordain someone without other ordained pastors present? I've never heard of this but I was just wondering. After examination, maybe the ordained deacons would lay their hands on him and pray for him and affirm the Lord's calling on his life?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 PM
7,000 Posts Club

Thanks guys. I just needed another list for comparative reasons.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:35 PM
4,000 Posts Club

I'm curious. Why would being able to name the 66 books of the Bible be a good question? Seems a bit over the top to me. I'm not sure I could have done it when ordained and even now without a stumble or two especially when it comes to the minor prophets. I guess the candidate would need to spell all the books properly too. Boy, then I would be in trouble.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.borland
Can a church ordain someone without other ordained pastors present? I've never heard of this but I was just wondering. After examination, maybe the ordained deacons would lay their hands on him and pray for him and affirm the Lord's calling on his life?
\

Yes... I have seen churches do it.. after the council recommends against it!

It is a very touchy situation when this happens...