BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study

Baptist Theology & Bible Study General discussion of Baptist theology

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Question Demon possession

Demon possession is a very real thing. We see several examples of it in the gospels. However, I have noticed that it is very rarely spoken of or acknowledged in most Baptist circles. Can anyone tell me why this is? Should we not acknowledge it so that we will know how to deal with it if ever face to face with one who is possessed? Also, I have observed patients with schizophrenia and psychosis firsthand, and have noticed some things, such as assumption of different personaliies, in which even the voice of the person changed, a belief that the patient possessed divine powers to save and to heal, etc., that made me think that what we dismiss as mere psychological disorders(psychosis, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, etc.) could possibly be cases of demon possession. What do you think? I would love to hear the thoughts of other Christians.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:23 AM
7,000 Posts Club

Default RE:Demon Possesion

I have believed in demon possesion for a while, but not like that which is portrayed in "The Exorist" movie. I am a believer that alcoholism, homosexuality, drug abuse, etc are "types" of demon possesion. I work at a hospital which has a floor that deals strictly with people who are troubled mentally, but having not known them before they came there, I don't know who, or what, triggered their change in their mentality. But, this is just one man's opinion.

Willis
Jer. 50:20 In those days, and in that time, saith the Lord, the iniquity of Israel shall be sought for, and there shall be none; and the sins of Judah, and they shall not be found: for I will pardon them whom I reserve.

Lev. 16:22 And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyofchrist32
Demon possession is a very real thing. We see several examples of it in the gospels. However, I have noticed that it is very rarely spoken of or acknowledged in most Baptist circles. Can anyone tell me why this is? Should we not acknowledge it so that we will know how to deal with it if ever face to face with one who is possessed? Also, I have observed patients with schizophrenia and psychosis firsthand, and have noticed some things, such as assumption of different personaliies, in which even the voice of the person changed, a belief that the patient possessed divine powers to save and to heal, etc., that made me think that what we dismiss as mere psychological disorders(psychosis, schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, etc.) could possibly be cases of demon possession. What do you think? I would love to hear the thoughts of other Christians.
I think you answered you own question.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:36 AM
10,000 Posts Club

I struggle with this issue.

I have no doubt that, as in biblical times, there is demonic possession.

I also know that there are illnesses that are truly that--illnesses. Let's be non-controversial for a moment: Epileptic seizures, to someone who doesn't understand them, could be construed as such, yet we know that to be a medical condition.

So there are times that I struggle with how to deal with such.

Having said that...I have been in situations where there was an unmistakable case of demonic activity...and I have been a part of an "exorcism," if you will (I hate that term. It has been "poisoned" with the Catholic traditions, and the movie scenes)
Old 02-08-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell
I also know that there are illnesses that are truly that--illnesses. Let's be non-controversial for a moment: Epileptic seizures, to someone who doesn't understand them, could be construed as such, yet we know that to be a medical condition.
The ancients knew the difference between epilepsy, lunacy, and demon possession as well.

And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and torments, and those which were possessed with devils, and those which were lunatick, and those that had the palsy; and he healed them. Matt. 4:24.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 AM
15,000 Posts Club

I have not been present but my husband has been present when exorcising 3 different people at our independent Baptist church. One was a young girl who used to live with us. There were times that demon posession was suspected but it did not seem to be when doing the exorcism and other times even in just counseling, it came out that posession was the issue. None of these people were saved. So atleast in our church, we've dealt with it.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 AM

I see a trend that demon possession is more often "diagnosed" in charismatic style churches.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I was one who dismissed demonic possession as not for this age. Whilst preaching at a small church in Saskatchewan, I was sharing the platform with a Baptist missionary from Haiti. He spoke briefly about demon possession in Haiti.

A mother and father came after the sermon and spoke to us about a child who went through "spells" that could not be explained. This couple asked the missionary to come pray over this child, a teen.

I wetn along, more out of curiosity tan belief. I witnessed this person throw things around the room, and behave rather badly. The missionary had us men hold the person down on the bed whilst he prayed over her with his hands on her head. I swear, she foamed at the mouth, spit, swore and I can't detail all that happened. After about two hours of this the girl calmed down, looked around and proclaimed Jesus as her Saviour.

I did follow up out of personal interest and this girl went on to Bible College and ended up a missionary.

I never spoke lightly about demon possession again for the rest of my ministry, but never witnessed those actions again, either.

Is demon possession real? I still can't say definitivly, but neither can I deny it.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-08-2009, 04:03 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyofchrist32
I believe that demon possession passed with the Apostolic age. To imply that people who suffer from mental illness are demon possessed is asinine. I believe that is the strongest word I can use on this forum.

As far as saving and healing there are a lot of pastors who labor under that misconception.

Incidentally even if demon possession existed it would not be possible for a Christian to be so possessed because:

1 John 4:3, 4
3. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:23 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRegular
I believe that demon possession passed with the Apostolic age. To imply that people who suffer from mental illness are demon possessed is asinine. I believe that is the strongest word I can use on this forum.

As far as saving and healing there are a lot of pastors who labor under that misconception.

Incidentally even if demon possession existed it would not be possible for a Christian to be so possessed because:

1 John 4:3, 4
3. And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
4. Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
I disagree that the time of demon posession has passed. I also disagree with the idea that all mental illness is demon posession because it's not. However, I've seen mental illness and I've seen demon posession. I've heard my husband and my pastor tell of what happens when dealing with a demon in someone and it's certainly not mental illness. It's real. It's not fake.