1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of the Church Of GOD by Eld's Cushing & Sylvester HASSELL

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by ray Marshall, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

How many of the BB has read THE HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF GOD, by Elder Cushing and Elder Sylvester HASSELL?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Is this specifically about the denomination, the Church of God? If so, which one? There is one based in Cleveland, TN that is charismatic and one based in Anderson, IN that is not charismatic.

3. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

This book is mostly about the Baptist from early times up until the 1900,s. What trials the early church went through.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for clarifying. The title is misleading, imo.

5. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

It gives the History in America concerning the church splitting from the Primitive Baptist during the 1850' concerning some doctrinal views and formed the Missionary Baptist, and other splits later forming the Southern Baptist Church and other separations in doctrinal views around 1910, not exactly when it happened but a separation of some that organized the Regular Baptist. There is History of how the american Civil War effected some demonations after the war. It also tells the History about Henery V111 wanded to divorce his then wife to marry Ann Bollin. which he did and the Catholic church went up in rage and from Spain came the Spanish arminal (? Spelling) was sent to attack England but many of their Ships were sunk around the Cape of good Hope,(I think it was there) during a great storm and the remaining Ships returned to Spain. Had they been successful, we may have been under the Catholic Church. GOD was in the matter and the plan was distroyed. This book is about 4" thick, but History documented, so in England and some in America. One of the author's died and I think it was finished by Sylvestor Hassell.

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Full title:
    THE CHURCH OF GOD,
    FROM THE CREATION TO A. D, 1885;
    INCLUDING ESPECIALLY
    THE HISTORY OF THE KEHUKEE PRIMITIVE BAPTIST ASSOCIATION.

Google Books

a sample, from pp. 747-748:
    "wherever Missionary Societies, Bible Societies, Tract Societies, Sunday Schools, . . . and Theological Seminaries in America prevail, there the doctrine of Phariseeism (modernly called Arminianism) prevails, there the doctrine of saving the souls of men from sin and from hell by works which men may do for themselves and for each other prevails. There the mark of the Beast and there persecution prevail."

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

...and there goes any credibilty that I briefly thought this book had.

:godisgood:

8. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

So I guess you are persuaded that the documented works of the Hassell's History is a book that all of its contents are all false, Huh. The book tell of documented facts which the Baptist suffered all down through the ages. Your demonation must surely have suffered somewhere in the History of the Baptist.
    We are covered by the first amendment of the Constitution and was added to the Constitution for religion sake.

9. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

Do you agree or disagree with what you wrote about Hassells History?

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

This is a book trying make the Primitive Baptists and their doctrines as primary. It can be read here.

It does have some good information on the from Baptist churches over the last 300 years but even then some is left out, bias, or slanted on other parts.

On the whole I would say it is a good book to get if one was interested in the Primitive baptists and their view of things.

#10 Allan, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ray Marshall,

Not neccesarilly.

But this quote....

....is wreckless, absurd, ridiculous, and slanderous beyond comprehension.

Sure, there might be *some* truth and good information in the work. But a quote as "twilight zoneish" as that makes me VERY sceptical that this work is even worth turning the 1st page.

I mean..they are condemning as being phariseeical, and proclaiming a false gospel, all groups that have Missionary societies (taking the gospel to far places), Gospel tract societies, (distributing gospel tracts), believe in the teaching of the scriptures in churches (sunday school), and groups with seminaries.

Unbelievable.

:godisgood:

#11 Alive in Christ, Mar 2, 2009
  12. Allan

Allan Active Member

AiC, that is because Primitive Baptist hold the view that you are born saved if you are one of God's elect. That is this view there are people the world over who will never profess faith in Christ maybe even hate Christianity/Christ Himself but still be saved. I completely disagree with such but that is part their view.

Thus anything missionary minded is 'absurd' to them. To them it is a blessed thing to realize that you already are saved but not necessary for the elect to know so or have faith.

This is what most Primitive Baptist I have met have stated in some form or other. Another BB'er (Pinoy - something, I can't remember the rest) has debated the topic on here about being born saved (typical PB view), what they call eternal salvation verses temporal salvation, coming to the realization of your salvation and bringing yourself into conformity with the scriptures at that point.

13. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

#14 Allan, Mar 2, 2009
  15. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I absolutely 100% agree with what I wrote: that is the book's title, it is available on Google Books, and that sample passage is found on pages 747-748.

16. ray Marshall

ray Marshall New Member

17. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a fellowship forum, not a debate forum.

If you want to debate the contents of the book, please start a thread in Baptist History of Other Christian Denominations.

Thank you.

rsr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.