BaptistBoard.com  
     

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container
 
Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Bible Versions/Translations

Bible Versions/Translations Comparing & Contrasting Bible Versions & Translations

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Amy.G's Avatar
Amy.G Amy.G is offline
10,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern US
Posts: 13,103
Default Rock of Ages Study Bible

Have you heard of it? Do you have one?


LINK
__________________
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

The Revelation Song
  #2  
Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Logos1560 Logos1560 is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,040
Default

I have heard of it, but I do not have a copy of it. I think that its study notes are supposed to be basically the same ones as was found in the The New Pilgrim Bible that was printed by Oxford University Press in New York. That 2002 edition with consulting editors Jerry L. Rockwell and Douglas Stauffer was based on the 1948 Pilgrim Study Bible with E. Schuyler English as Editor-in-Chief. I think that Jerry L. Rockwell is supposed to be the editor of the Rock of Age Study Bible or that he obtained the rights for having the same study notes printed with it.
  #3  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Logos1560 Logos1560 is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,040
Default

The Pilgrim Edition of the KJV was edited by E. Schuyler English [who also did edit the 1967 New Scofield Reference Bible], and it was printed by Oxford University Press in 1948, 1952.

The NEW PILGRIM BIBLE: KJV Student Edition, based on the earlier 1948 edition, and listing that same editor, was reprinted and updated by Oxford University in 2002-2003 with consulting editors Jerry L. Rockwell and Douglas D. Stauffer.

Douglas Stauffer is the author of a KJV-only book entitled ONE BOOK STANDS ALONE: THE KEY TO BELIEVING THE BIBLE. Jerry Rockwell was an associate or assistant editor at THE SWORD OF THE LORD.

In the new introduction, I did not notice nor read that any changes were being introduced into the text of the Oxford KJV edition used in the 1948 edition of the Pilgrim Bible. Thus, you might want to be aware of the fact that changes were introduced by someone into the text of this edition. This 2003 edition also made at least a few changes to the notes of the 1948 edition.

Most if not all the changes seem to have come from the Cambridge edition of the KJV. Most likely the text of the Rock of Ages Study Bible follows the KJV text in the 2003 Pilgrim Bible. Here are some examples:

Gen. 15:13, 34:23, 43:34
their's (1948 Pilgrim edition)
theirs (2003 Pilgrim edition)

Gen. 26:20, 31:16, 34:23
our's (1948)
ours (2003)

Exod. 29:9
their's (1948)
theirs (2003)

Num. 32:32
our's (1948)
ours (2003)

Deut. 11:24
your's (1948)
yours (2003)

Deut. 21:15
her's (1948)
hers (2003)

Josh. 19:2
and Sheba (1948)
or Sheba (2003)

1 Sam. 17:48
hastened (1948)
hasted (2003)

2 Chron. 2:16
flotes (1948)
floats (2003)

2 Chron. 33:19
sins (1948)
sins (2003)

Ps. 148:8
vapours (1948)
vapour (2003)

Eccl. 3:17
farther (1948)
further (2003)

Jer. 34:16
whom ye (1948)
whom he (2003)

Nahum 3:16
fleeth (1948)
flieth (2003)

Matt. 4:1
spirit (1948)
Spirit (2003)

Matt. 5:3
their's (1948)
theirs (2003)

Mark 1:12
spirit (1948)
Spirit (2003)

Rev. 21:20
chrysolyte (1948)
chrysolite (2003)
  #4  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Bayouparson Bayouparson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pierre Part, Louisiana
Posts: 68
Default Rock of Ages Study Bible

Greetings, I just noted your post about the Rock of Ages Study Bible (ROA). I am Jerry L. Rockwell and the information you have is correct. The ROA is derived from the NewPilgrim Bible published by Oxford Univ. Press. The copyright was sold by Oxford to Rock of Ages Prison Ministry and they contracted with me to edit and change some of the notes and produce a study Bible to be used in the prisons. The ROA is available if you will go to my web site at www.vbcpierrepartla.com and click on the "Study Bible" tab it will tell you how to secure the ROA Study Bible.
Jerry R.
  #5  
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Harold Garvey Harold Garvey is offline
1,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Monroe
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouparson View Post
Greetings, I just noted your post about the Rock of Ages Study Bible (ROA). I am Jerry L. Rockwell and the information you have is correct. The ROA is derived from the NewPilgrim Bible published by Oxford Univ. Press. The copyright was sold by Oxford to Rock of Ages Prison Ministry and they contracted with me to edit and change some of the notes and produce a study Bible to be used in the prisons. The ROA is available if you will go to my web site at www.vbcpierrepartla.com and click on the "Study Bible" tab it will tell you how to secure the ROA Study Bible.
Jerry R.
I apprecaite Rock of Ages and know personally many of their missionaries.

I did notice the refrence of the "Authorized Version" we all have come to know and love as the KJV.

Does this mean that RoA is KJVO?
  #6  
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Dale-c's Avatar
Dale-c Dale-c is offline
4,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,145
Default

Quote:
.....and produce a study Bible to be used in the prisons.
My dad is a chaplain and he might be interested in this. I may send him a link to it.
__________________
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
  #7  
Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM
mesly mesly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: OH
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Garvey View Post
I apprecaite Rock of Ages and know personally many of their missionaries.

I did notice the refrence of the "Authorized Version" we all have come to know and love as the KJV.

Does this mean that RoA is KJVO?
From the statement of faith at the above website:
VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
DOCTRINAL POSITION SUMMARY
1. The Scripture. We believe that the Bible, containing both the Old and New Testaments, is inerrant, infallible, and given by inspiration of God. Furthermore, we believe that God has providentially preserved His word in all its purity in the Authorized King James Version of 1611. It is our absolute and final authority for every matter; all other English versions are inferior. Psa. 12:6-7; 2Tim. 3:15-16; 2Pet. 1:19-21.

So it appears to be so.
  #8  
Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Harold Garvey Harold Garvey is offline
1,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Monroe
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesly View Post
From the statement of faith at the above website:
VICTORY BAPTIST CHURCH
DOCTRINAL POSITION SUMMARY
1. The Scripture. We believe that the Bible, containing both the Old and New Testaments, is inerrant, infallible, and given by inspiration of God. Furthermore, we believe that God has providentially preserved His word in all its purity in the Authorized King James Version of 1611. It is our absolute and final authority for every matter; all other English versions are inferior. Psa. 12:6-7; 2Tim. 3:15-16; 2Pet. 1:19-21.

So it appears to be so.
Yes, and they remain probably the most doctrinaly sound ministries in the prisons today.
  #9  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Dr. Bob's Avatar
Dr. Bob Dr. Bob is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Casper, WY USA
Posts: 29,282
Send a message via ICQ to Dr. Bob
Default

Trust those who like that view will support RoA ministries. Our church will immediately drop support.

We will not tolerate a missionary or agency that attacks the doctrine of inspiration by espousing false doctrines of the KJVonly sect. To say that a man-made document (remember, not one Baptist was even involved in the Anglican translation in 1611) is "final authority" and that MY Bible (God's very own breathed words) is "inferior", shows how far down the slope they have gone.
__________________
Dr Bob Griffin
"Jesus knows me, this I love"

www.sovereigngracechurch.com
www.grif.net


"Why do bad things happen to good people?
That only happened once, and He volunteered
."
  #10  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Harold Garvey Harold Garvey is offline
1,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Monroe
Posts: 1,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bob View Post
Trust those who like that view will support RoA ministries. Our church will immediately drop support.

We will not tolerate a missionary or agency that attacks the doctrine of inspiration by espousing false doctrines of the KJVonly sect. To say that a man-made document (remember, not one Baptist was even involved in the Anglican translation in 1611) is "final authority" and that MY Bible (God's very own breathed words) is "inferior", shows how far down the slope they have gone.
I'm sure the prisoners will appreciate your actions.
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.


The Fundamental Top 500   The Best Baptist Web Sites at Baptist411.com  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Copyright: Wrestling Clique Wrestling Forum
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
 

Web Hosting for BaptistBoard.com is provided by BaptistHost.net