1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

what is going?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by donnA, Dec 22, 2009.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

why is it fewer and fewer christians care about what scripture teaches, about being biblical in their lives and beliefs and pratices? Some don't even care if their 'biblical' beleifs are even in the bible. Someone once told me, well, it isn't in there but I believe it anyway. Now we've seen several in the past month on here tell us correct biblcal doctrines don't matter at all.
    Have christians always been this weak in their bible understanding? Or is this a modern laziness, a straying away from sound bible teachings?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

From my observations, Christians these days are woefully ignorant of the scriptures. It is easier to sit in the pew for a few minutes a week and hear a brief message than it is to take time to actually STUDY the word of God. Study takes time and dedication. Many just don't seem to care. No wonder that the church will become apostate in the last days.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And now we have some in the SBC who are traveling around to churches teaching the "Tell your story"method of evangelism to accommodate those who do not want to just know scripture so as to be able to share the gospel effectively. Beside the fact that telling your story is not the gospel this is a dumbing down of the church.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ignorant of scripture and ignorant of the foundations of our faith.

If anybody doesn't believe it, just look at the thread about the Manhattan Declaration, where so many Christians said that there were no significant differences between Christianity and Catholicism.

Seriously? Has nobody studied the book of Romans and the difference between infused and imputed righteousness? Nobody understands why the sufficiency of Christ's atonement is so crucial?

You would think they would at least acknowledge that the doctrine of justification is so important that it spawned the Reformation.

On a recent White Horse Inn, they took an informal poll outside of a Billy Graham crusade, where you would assume there would be a lot of Christians. And there were a lot of people who claimed to be Christians. But they couldn't identify certain Bible verses or key doctrines and many of them admitted that doctrine just isn't that important to them.

#4 JohnDeereFan, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
  5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a poem that starts out, "The church and the world walked along on the changing shores of time." The poem progresses until the church and the world are walking hand in hand. I think that poem correctly sums up what is going on today.

The line between the church and the world has gotten so blurred that you can hardly tell the two apart.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's painting with a bit of a broad brush, don't you think?

I suspect problem isn't Christians not caring about what scripture teaches, but is instead that Christians increasingly insist that other Christians interpret and apply scripture as they do (and if they don't then that person must not care about what scripture teaches).

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Donna, If you read the works of John Bunyan you will find the same complaint. Also Spurgeon made similar complaints.

I am currently reading MacArthur's The Jesus You Cant Ignore based on the fact that generally we don't realize who He is in light of the current movement(s) to make everything PC about Him (bloodless, crossless "gospel", etc).

So, things probably haven't changed in that respect.

However, You indicated that it has become more widespread and I agree.

In fact it goes even farther back:

Isaiah 30:10 Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:​

Also, think about this, just a century or two ago, no one would have imagined that in the 21st century almost anyone could have access to several English translations, of the Bible, Greek, Hebrew interlinears and lexicons, historical and grammatical commentaries, Bible dictionaries and much more, all with scanning abilities, all for no cost at their fingertips whenever they pleased (Blue Letter Bible for instance).

We of the age of technology have too many distractions (1 John 2:15-17) and our priorities have been turned upside down including the use of modern technology.

Matthew 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.​

We are not just to seek the kingdom of God but it should be first on our list. Also, I think many of us have forgotten the part that says to seek "His righteousness" (which IMO means practical as well as positional).​

HankD

8. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, the whole reason that the church has historically had the different creeds, confessions, and catechisms, is precisely because there is a right way and a wrong way to interpret scripture.

These creeds, confessions, and catechisms traditionally have been a way to seperate those who do not interpret scripture correctly. You may say that this is just a petty way to weed out people who don't think like we do, but the truth is that there is a correct interpretation of scripture and an incorrect interpretation.

The incorrect interpretation always brings heresy and apostasy and the reason the church has lasted for 2,000 is that we have used these creeds, confessions, and catechisms as a standard for the correct interpretation of scripture, thus protecting, defending, and ensuring the reliability of our doctrines.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And I'm sure you believe that your way is the only way to interpret scripture.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Of course! But actually MY interpretation is the correct one! :laugh:

11. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I believe that the way the church has historically interpreted it is the correct interpretation.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm sure you believe that your own interpretation and application is consistent with the way the church has historically interpreted scripture.

13. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. If I were to lay out my beliefs and the doctrines I hold to, as well as the way they were arrived at, I do believe that they would be consistent with the way the church has historically interpreted scripture.

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I never cease to be amazed at how little Christians know of the scriptures. Many think they know the answers and insist that they are right--even though their interpretations are contrary to the truth. They get very upset if anyone even hints that they could be wrong.

Some things in the Bible are a little vague as to their meaning, but that doesn't stop some from insisting that their interpretation and understanding is correct. Anyone who disgrees with them is wrong in their minds.

I don't claim to know all the answers, but I do think I understand more of the scriptures than many Christians who just inject their own interpretations to what God said rather than letting the Holy Spirit teach them. However, I've learned not to waste my time debating (which is actually arguing) the scriptures. They won't change my mind, and I certainly won't change their's.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

There you have it. JohnDeereFan believes his way is the only way to interpret scripture.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

and you know this is not what he actually said, your post is a misrepsentation.

17. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course he knows that's not what I said. He's a troll and that's what trolls do.

He's actually been on my ignore list for a couple of days now. I was just going to try to talk to him one more time and see how it went. As you can see, it was a waste of time. He didn't even go but three or four posts before he resumed his old tricks.

It's my fault, though. The Bible is very clear that we shouldn't argue with fools and I took the bait.

18. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And that is the crux of the whole problem. While I think that the premise of this thread is correct, many on this board do not understand the difference between Biblical opinion and Biblical truth. It is the I am right and you are wrong syndrome.

I think a much better evidence of this is the church rolls. On average 30% attend on Sunday morning, half that on Sunday night, then half again Wednesday. It seems to me that Wednesday is one of the best times to learn doctrine and the truth of the Word. It is really sad to look out into a congregation and see a scattering of members.

Once people stop learning the Bible and studying, the lines between world and Christian are going to blur, as mentioned by someone in an above post.

If one looks at some of the threads on this board, alcohol is a good example, there are so many opinions expressed about what the Bible means, how would an outsider ever know what we believe, so it is not just the people who do not attend church who are the problem. And no, this is not the place to debate it, it is just an example. You could have said the same thing about end times, Calvinism, Bible versions, etc.

The greatest evidence of this is one church in Acts, and how many today? (and all of them are right, according to them)

That is why within us, we all have a resident called the Holy Spirit to guide us in things like this.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is modern laziness, or too busy with the things of this world to attend a Wednesday night Bible study. You thread points out one of the (IMO) major signs that we are living in the last days. It is easier to deal with hostility to the Gospel than apathy. As the lines between church and the world blend, our love for the Lord grows cold, and our love for each other. It is very apparent today. All we have to do is observe.

20. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Excellently stated. What he said. :thumbs: