BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist FELLOWSHIP Forums (Baptist Only) > Pastoral Ministries

Pastoral Ministries Talk about the joys and struggles of ministry.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:20 PM

Default Staff Salaries as a Percentage

Brothers and Sisters,

This is the first thread I have ever started, but I was hoping that some of you would provide some assistance. A pastor friend recently mentioned that his church was in a debate as to how much (or more appropriately what percentage) of the total church budget should be spent on staff. This mirrors a discussion that we have had in our church and so I found it very interesting. While I know that no two situations are identical and therefore such answers are not "one-size fits all", I would be interested in your input.

First, what does your church spend on staff as a percentage of its budget? If you do not know for sure, an educated guess would be appreciated.

Second, regardless of what you actually spend, in a normative sense, what do you fill is a reasonable range for guidance? Again, I know that actual mileage varies, but I simply want a general rule of thumb that you feel would be appropriate.

Anyway answers to these questions would be helpful...for myself and perhaps others on here having to address the same question in their own church.

Thanks and God bless,
Your brother,
Crucified
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Oh shoot! I just tossed this year's budget but I know that the staff salaries/benefits were the largest percentage of the budget. I'd have to ask how much that percent was, though. Sorry!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:28 AM

For several years, in my church the trend has been in the 45% to 50% range.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 AM

I went and looked at our breakdown and staff ran 44% of the total church budget last year.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM
8,000 Posts Club

Even though I am just the church pianist, the pastor insists on including me, the church nursery coordinator, the financial secretary, and the church secretary as "staff". We have those positions, plus pastor, minister of music, minister of education (part-time position), and minsiter of youth (students).

I just added up all those salaries and it is about 51.5% of our church budget.

As a woman, I'm not saying that I can do it all, have it all, be it all, nor know it all. My goodness, I don't even want it all. I'm not saying that I'm WonderWoman. All I am saying is that no one has ever seen me and WonderWoman in the same room.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:45 PM

0%!!!!!! If members are not willing to freely give their time and talents to further the gospel of Christ; We are in a terrible state of being. We need to get our priorities in tune with God's priorities. MY personal belief is that the furtherance of the Gospel and the teaching of the people are at the head of the list. My budget would consist of: Necessities (utility, insurance, etc), Pastor's salary, Missions, Emergency Fund. It would be nice to have a policy of when we have extra funds; send them to the missionaries on the field.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crucified in Christ View Post

Second, regardless of what you actually spend, in a normative sense, what do you fill is a reasonable range for guidance? Again, I know that actual mileage varies, but I simply want a general rule of thumb that you feel would be appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro K View Post
0%!!!!!! If members are not willing to freely give their time and talents to further the gospel of Christ;

My budget would consist of: Necessities (utility, insurance, etc), Pastor's salary, Missions, Emergency Fund. It would be nice to have a policy of when we have extra funds; send them to the missionaries on the field.
Bro. K.,

I appreciate your sentiment--but if you pay your pastor, then the percentage is greater than 0%.

I believe ours is somewhere around 46%. We have 15 full-time employees (or very near full-time)--that includes ministers, ministry assistants, and support staff (custodian, building supervisor, etc.) We also have 7-8 part-time folks, and some nursery personnel that log just a few hours per month.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=rbell;1555006]Bro. K.,

I appreciate your sentiment--but if you pay your pastor, then the percentage is greater than 0%.

I believe the initial question was in relations to the percentage for staff members.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:53 PM
15,000 Posts Club

[QUOTE=Bro K;1555012]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell View Post
Bro. K.,

I believe the initial question was in relations to the percentage for staff members.
Aren't pastors considered staff?
Old 05-29-2010, 04:55 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro K View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbell View Post
Bro. K.,

1. The pastor isn't staff?
2. Do you believe that only a pastor should be paid? How about ministry assistants/secretaries/etc? Janitors/Custodians? How about other ministers (music, youth, children, education, etc.)?