BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study

Baptist Theology & Bible Study General discussion of Baptist theology

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

View Poll Results: Where do babies go when they die?
Heaven, I'm a Calvinist 7 19.44%
Hell, I'm a Calvinist 0 0%
Heaven, I'm not a Calvinist 25 69.44%
Hell, I'm not a Calvinist 1 2.78%
I'm not sure, I'm a Calvinist 3 8.33%
I'm not sure, I'm not a Calvinist 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Default Where do babies go when they die?

I saw this being discussed in another thread and figured I would make a poll. It was stated that all Calvinist believe that babies that die go to hell. I was curious on that and what everybody thought about babies going to hell or heaven.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Default What if?

What if God could look down the path of that infant even though he did die as if he didn't?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh28 View Post
I saw this being discussed in another thread and figured I would make a poll. It was stated that all Calvinist believe that babies that die go to hell. I was curious on that and what everybody thought about babies going to hell or heaven.
I've never heard of that. Understanding the doctrines of Calvinism and Arminianism, it would be the Calvinist who would say that babies can go to heaven whereas the Arminian (if they believe it is man's choice to follow God or not - not God's choice) would believe that all babies would go to hell because they never had a chance to choose.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:46 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Have you read Spurgeon's sermon on this...Im sure it's on the internet. Its his opinion that they go to Heaven. BTW, he was a Calvinist.

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
3,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth, Wind & Fire View Post
Have you read Spurgeon's sermon on this...Im sure it's on the internet. Its his opinion that they go to Heaven. BTW, he was a Calvinist.
Many don't know that Spurgeon was a Calvinist, especially the sword of the lord crowd. do you have a link to it. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:55 PM
8,000 Posts Club

3._____ Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit; who worketh when, and where, and how he pleases; so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
( John 3:3, 5, 6; John 3:8 )

4._____ Others not elected, although they may be called by the ministry of the Word, and may have some common operations of the Spirit, yet not being effectually drawn by the Father, they neither will nor can truly come to Christ, and therefore cannot be saved: much less can men that receive not the Christian religion be saved; be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature and the law of that religion they do profess.
( Matthew 22:14; Matthew 13:20, 21; Hebrews 6:4, 5; John 6:44, 45, 65; 1 John 2:24, 25; Acts 4:12; John 4:22; John 17:3 )
Old 10-26-2010, 07:56 PM

We don't know for a certainty where babies go. The reformed calvinists believe that infant baptism is a covenant promise and the children of believers go to heaven based on that Abrahamic covenant.

On the other hadn some adopt a concept of "age of responsibility". All children are covered by the cross until they reach that "age of responsibility". This would include most arminians.

Spurgeon espoused the age of accountability theory.

The chief problem is original sin for one who does not accept covenant theology and infant baptism. We must accept that "all the elect will be saved" and they are covered by the cross without a verbal confession.

I am afraid, we just don't have sufficient to draft a hard and fast doctrine on this point, and we are left to our own concoction based on the love and grace of God.

Cheers,

Jim

PS. My very first funeral was an infant and I wrestled hard with this question. Thankfully the parent were firm believers, and this helped.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 PM
3,000 Posts Club

I would assume they would need to be born again being they were born of the flesh.

Lets see David said speaking of his child, I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me. On the day of Pentecost about fifty days after the resurrection of Jesus where did Peter say David was? Men [and] brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
How did David put this? Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell,(Hades) neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

I assume David as he said went to his child.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:36 PM

David's expression of going to his son,,,,is the only verse used to support the "age of responsibility" theory. You won't read many lengthy theological discussions on the topic.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-27-2010, 11:32 AM
3,000 Posts Club

Default Flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalms109:31 View Post
What if God could look down the path of that infant even though he did die as if he didn't?
To me the greatest fear from must peoples theory, if someone had no concern for themselves and wanted to save their baby from eternal hell, what would be the easy way to do it?
Closed Thread