1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Different Rewards In Heaven

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Old Union Brother, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

In another thread it was said
    It was said they were using these scriptures as proof:

Someone help me out....How do these scriptures show there are different rewards in heaven?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

A few chapters later Paul speaks of "crowns". There is also a mention of crowns in Revelation being cast at Christs' feet. Crowns are worn by kings, which are rulers. We will rule and reign with Christ one day, so I believe the rewards spoken of in Scripture are in regards to responsibilities King Jesus will give us in ruling with Him. We know the 12 will be sitting on thrones, maybe we will be rulers of nations, governors of states, mayors of cities, directors communitites, CEO's of companies, etc....who knows what God has in store. I'm looking forward to it, though!

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here’s my thinking. It’s not a hill that I am willing to die on and if anyone has another thought, I will listen to it. [Scripture background as follows.]

This is what I see.
    • Paul says that everyone is rewarded according to their labor, not their individual gift. The gift is irrelevant in terms of reward. The most famous Christian singer who sang from the heart and ministered to masses is just as important as the unknown grandmother who was a prayer warrrior for her family. (verses 8-9)
    • He says to be very careful once you are saved on the foundation of Jesus Christ as to HOW you build on it. (verse 10)
    • Paul says that there is no way to be saved except by Jesus Christ (verse 11)
    • Then he says that people who have that foundation (who are saved) will perform works of gold, silver and precious stones OR of wood, hay, and straw. (verse 12)
    • Next, the fire (God's judgment of our works) will expose everything for what it is on "that Day". (verse 13)
    • If our works are worthy, then we receive a reward. (verse 14)
    • If our works are not worthy, then we lose rewards. Works have NOTHING to do with our salvation - only our reward. (verse 15)
    These "wood and hay" works that we will NOT be rewarded for are not works necessary of evil, but to me are GOOD things done - but done for the wrong reason, done half-heartedly, done selfishly, or done for personal gain.

Let me give you a hypothetical. (I know that this is rather over-simplified.)

Suppose a new family in your church has a death in the family. Suppose the father dies in a car accident.

Now suppose two women from the bereavement committee are bringing food to the home. Both women are saved - Christians. One brings a chocolate cake and the other brings a green bean casserole.

They both come up the sidewalk and enter the home at the same time. They both console the family, pick up around the house, and help out as best they can.

AND.....

The woman who brings the green beans says to herself as she comes up the driveway. "Dear God, please help me to know what to say to these people. I don't really know them. They are new. Help me to be sensitive to their needs. Please be real to them in their time of grief and help me and our church to reach out as Christ would do. I think I'll help her clean up a little."

BUT.....

The woman who brings the chocolate cake says this to herself as she comes up the driveway. "The is the LAST time that bake this cake for the bereavement committee. They had NO IDEA how much these ingredients cost. And why should I have to go out of my way for people that I don't even know?!? They just joined the church two months ago and the wife has never even SPOKEN a word to me. I'll stay and clean for about 15 minutes and then I'm leaving!"

Perhaps the woman with the bad attitude has had a bad week at work or perhaps she has two sick kids at home. Perhaps her own husband is desperately ill or perhaps she has weight of putting her mother in the nursing home on her mind. Perhaps she has absolutely no excuse for that bad attitude.

Either way, despite the fact that she is saved, she will receive no reward in Heaven for taking that cake and helping to clean and bringing aide to the grieving. She will receive nothing for having a heart with no compassion for a family who needs her.

The woman who reached out to the family in the name of Jesus Christ and in obedience to serving Him will be rewarded for the very exact and same work that the chocolate cake woman did, yet who will not receive a reward for that.

#3 Scarlett O., Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is the way I understand it as well. Last night our pastor spoke about the crowns on Jesus' head.

Revelation 19:12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

He said these are the crowns that have been given to Him by believers.

5. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

The context answers the question. Paul is speaking about preachers and what they preach. It has nothing to do with differing rewards in Heaven. It is used as a prooftext for the error. Just some thoughts: if there are differing rewards in Heaven then how can there be no sorrow there? If there are differing rewards in Heven then what was it that Christ earned for us? All believers get exactly the same thing, whatever Christ earned. Which of course is everything.

6. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Why would there be sorrow over me recieving a reward that was different than yours? No sin in heaven means no jealously/coveting and therefore no sorrow over differing gifts. And since we given gifts to reward our works, we know exactly what we did or did not to toward receiving them. Complainers simply won't be part of heaven!

Christ earned us our salvation. Period. Because He did, God the Father is making preparations for our eternal life (including those rewards)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is the first that I have heard that "he shall receive a reward" does not mean that.

Don't you realize your thoughts are just what you accuse us of? You start with the false presupposition sin will exist (jealousy) in Heaven and sorrow will stem from this. The Bible is equally clear there are differing degrees of punishment, too. How does that work in your model?

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exactly. If God made you a ruler over a nation, and me a manager over His shoe factory, we will both be elated to have been found worthy of any responsibility given.

9. Old Union Brother

I agree with you Ron. Please read and look at the bold face in these scriptures.

1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

Php 4:1 Therefore, my brethren dearly beloved and longed for, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, my dearly beloved.

1Th 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

And if this isn't enough to convince you read the parable of the laborors in Mathew 20: 1-16

These scriptures indicate that if we have been purchased by his blood and called out of darkness then we shall recieve the same crown. No differing degrees.

I believe that some are putting to much nature into heaven. Remember what it says in:
    1st Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.

Peace and Prayers

#9 Old Union Brother, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe you and many believers today have bought into platonic ideals and blended them with Christianity (Christoplatonsim). How sad our Lord must be to hear us spiritualize and allegorize everything away. Christ had a very physical body that ate and drank, and HE said our bodies would be like His. That is not a disembodied spirit floating about, it's a real body living in a real city (New Jerusalem) on a real planet (New Earth). This is purely biblical and putting the emphasis where it needs to be...on what God has said.

If I told my son to come outside I built him a new playground with a new swing and new slide I would be sad if he said "Oh, what my dad really means is he has given me financial security and a new swing means I'm free to not be restrained by this world and by new slide he means I need to avoid falling...he didn't really build me a new playground" Not only would I be sad and frustrated my son didn't believe me, I'd be angry.
    I would suggest Heaven by Dr. Randy Alcorn to debunk these many myths that have been passed down through church history.

11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

I believe that being with Christ will be the only really important thing in heaven. Rewards may seem important to us now, and could be used as an incentive to get us to serve the Lord. However, we should serve the Lord because we love him, not for rewards. Rewards, if any, will be insignificant in heaven compared to everything else.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That sounds spiritual, but does it align with Scripture?

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives sthe prize? So trun that you may obtain it.

13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Rewards

Matthew 20
    The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
    1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2 He agreed to pay them a denarius[A denarius was the usual daily wage of a day laborer.] for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
    3 “About nine in the morning he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4 He told them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5 So they went.

“He went out again about noon and about three in the afternoon and did the same thing. 6 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’

7 “‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

“He said to them, ‘You also go and work in my vineyard.’

8 “When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.’

9 “The workers who were hired about five in the afternoon came and each received a denarius. 10 So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11 When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12 ‘These who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.’

13 “But he answered one of them, ‘I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn’t you agree to work for a denarius? 14 Take your pay and go. I want to give the one who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15 Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?’

16 “So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

I see our rewards in heaven as people God used us to influence. There is no greater treasure to see others we touched and touched us in heaven with us.

All these crowns, treasures we will throw at Jesus feet, because none of this could of been done without Him.

#13 psalms109:31, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  14. Old Union Brother

I never said that we would not have a body . You are adding to what I said go back and reread my post.

And while you are at it read this as well.

Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

and this

1Co 15:49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
    1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

15. Old Union Brother

Psalms109:31
    Amen!!!!

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do those have to do with this? I know they are used by those who deny Heaven is a real, physical place and that we will have real, physical male and female bodies in Heaven (you think Jesus became less than a man in His new body)?

17. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

There would be sorrow because I didn't do what you did. Not jealousy nor covetousness but shame.

So Christ earned your salvation and you earn everything else. I see, I stand corrected. [Slaps forehead.]

18. Ron Wood

Ron Wood New Member

I never said that we don't receive a reward I said we all receive the same reward, whatever it is Christ earned not us. How easy it is to put words in the mouth of others.

I never even suggested that sin will in any way enter Heaven you did. You surmised that it was jealousy when all you had to do was consider the shame that would be the result if I don't do the work to receive the reward you do. The sin was in your mind not mine. And what exactly have I accused you of?
    It is quite clear that there are different degrees of punishment in Hell. I have no problem with that it is Scripture. Rewards are by the work of Christ alone and punishment are for what we do. Let me ask another question. What work have you done that you think deserves a reward from God?

19. Old Union Brother

You make too many assumptions. Just because you apparently do not read what others post.

READ carefully:

Jesus is more than a MAN. He is the savior. It took heaven and earth coming together for that to happen. What better reward than receiving a glorified body like his and being in his presence forever.

And with that I'm through with this debate.

Peace and Prayers

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Red Herring...Jesus is male, not female. The text you presented made it look like we will not be male or female in Heaven, which is false.