BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian FELLOWSHIP Forums (All Christians) > Computers & Website Forum

Computers & Website Forum Website Design, Hosting, Graphics & Internet Applications.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default Belkin router as Wireless Access Point?

Belkin's online help says all Belkin routers can be used as merely a Wireless Access point. However, the software doesn't give you that option. Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Totally guessing but I'd just set up a network on it and see if it doesn't work. There may not be any software for that feature.

List the model maybe one of us can snoop it out further.

Online help is not always worth talking to either :-( My first router they said would do what I wanted to do. They failed to tell me I needed a degree in software management to set it up. Took me near an entire day with their techs to do it :-)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to th1bill Send a message via Yahoo to th1bill Send a message via Skype™ to th1bill

Yep, I have the same one that I just gave a customer last month, return that junk and purchase, for a good deal less a trendnet, they work flawlessly.
1968-'69
visit me @ Basic Christianity
http://th1bill.blogspot.com
Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by th1bill View Post
Yep, I have the same one that I just gave a customer last month, return that junk and purchase, for a good deal less a trendnet, they work flawlessly.
Please clarify.

For those who asked, I have a Belkin n450.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Well, Fri. our network went down at home, router went dead. Cheapest thing I could find is a Belkin n300 so now I know what yours is like :-)

Did you get yours running okay?

Mine set up nicely though quite different from the last two we've had.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

I primarily have the most trouble getting it to shake hands with my DirecTV receiver in an app or two. It's a little slower than my normal wired router. Coverage was not as good as my last Belkin (wirelessly speaking). The dual band router was horrible for wired speed but the wireless range was very good.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:41 PM
4,000 Posts Club

Don't know if you got the rig running as you want but ran across something today.

I got a surf n300 belkin and it is slow downloading. Contacted support and they wanted me to use it as a "wireless access point" - well the rest of his instructions were totally confusing but thought you might like to know about it.

Open a browser, type in router in the address bar. If it asks for a password just click on the affirmative leaving it blank (Unless you set one up). Then on the left bar click on "wireless" and up comes a list. Use as wireless access point is one of the options.

Further than that I have no info :-)
Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Administrator

That isn't an option when I type in router or the router IP in my address bar.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 PM

I am guessing excentric means to set it up as a wireless bridge instead of as a router. My old DSL modem had that option as does my router. Since we switched to cable the new modem does not have that option.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled,
and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero - 55 BC

Everything I ever needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/11
Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM
4,000 Posts Club

"That isn't an option when I type in router or the router IP in my address bar."

The two units must have some differences, software wise at least. Belkin is good about answering email every two days but not too impressed with the totally confusing info I'm getting from the tech.

Last one told me to connect router one to router two, even though I told him i have a modem and a router??????? Of course reading what you tell them is quite optional on tech support anymore.

I really don't know why some companies bother offering it because it really is not service anymore.

One guy it was obvious he did not read my message. After two more times that it was still obvious I asked him to please read my message and answer the question that I ask instead of the many questions I did not ask. He had a great hint that fixed the problem the next time :-)