BaptistBoard.com  
     

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container
 
Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > Baptist Theology & Bible Study

Baptist Theology & Bible Study General discussion of Baptist theology

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM
allamericandaddy allamericandaddy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default Cardinal Doctrines

I was wondering if someone could tell me what the cardinal doctrines of the Baptist faith are. thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM
TCGreek's Avatar
TCGreek TCGreek is offline
7,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamericandaddy View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the cardinal doctrines of the Baptist faith are. thank you
I'm more interested in what the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith are.
__________________
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay..." (2 Cor. 4:7 ESV).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Amy.G's Avatar
Amy.G Amy.G is offline
10,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Southern US
Posts: 13,103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by allamericandaddy View Post
I was wondering if someone could tell me what the cardinal doctrines of the Baptist faith are. thank you
Your profile says you are a Baptist yet you don't know what Baptist doctrines are?

Anyway, here you go.

Baptist Faith and Message
__________________
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

The Revelation Song
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Tom Butler Tom Butler is offline
8,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 8,971
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek View Post
I'm more interested in what the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith are.
As a Baptist, I believe Baptist doctrine and Christian doctrine are one and the same.

I suspect every list will have some differences. Baptists share many doctrines with other evangelical denominations, but taken together, certain doctrines identify one as a Baptist.

Here are some:

Salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
Eternal security (Preservation of the Saints, Once-Saved, Always-Saved)
Baptism of believers only by immersion only, non-sacramental.
Two ordinances: Baptism & Lord's Supper
Priesthood of believers
Independent and autonomous congregations
The visible return of Christ to Earth.

I started to mention two offices: Pastor and Deacon, but some Baptist churches have adopted the elder-led model, or some variation. Pastor/Deacon is still the prevalent model.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
JesusFan JesusFan is offline
6,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Macomb Michigan
Posts: 6,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Butler View Post
As a Baptist, I believe Baptist doctrine and Christian doctrine are one and the same.

I suspect every list will have some differences. Baptists share many doctrines with other evangelical denominations, but taken together, certain doctrines identify one as a Baptist.

Here are some:

Salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
Eternal security (Preservation of the Saints, Once-Saved, Always-Saved)
Baptism of believers only by immersion only, non-sacramental.
Two ordinances: Baptism & Lord's Supper
Priesthood of believers
Independent and autonomous congregations
The visible return of Christ to Earth.

I started to mention two offices: Pastor and Deacon, but some Baptist churches have adopted the elder-led model, or some variation. Pastor/Deacon is still the prevalent model.
think that biblical doctrines are NOT though exclusively baptist!
We have best statements of them, but our held beliefs NOT same as ALl biblical doctrines. exhaustive!

We still have both reformed/dispy baptists, Gifts ceasing/not ceasing/
cal and Arm, Free will and Dog etc!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
JesusFan JesusFan is offline
6,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Macomb Michigan
Posts: 6,356
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek View Post
I'm more interested in what the cardinal doctrines of the Christian faith are.
Even the ones that we don't ahdere to as baptists though?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
TCGreek's Avatar
TCGreek TCGreek is offline
7,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy.G View Post
Your profile says you are a Baptist yet you don't know what Baptist doctrines are?

Anyway, here you go.

Baptist Faith and Message
Do Southern Baptists speak for all Baptists?
__________________
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay..." (2 Cor. 4:7 ESV).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
TCGreek's Avatar
TCGreek TCGreek is offline
7,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Butler View Post
As a Baptist, I believe Baptist doctrine and Christian doctrine are one and the same.

I suspect every list will have some differences. Baptists share many doctrines with other evangelical denominations, but taken together, certain doctrines identify one as a Baptist.

Here are some:

Salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
Eternal security (Preservation of the Saints, Once-Saved, Always-Saved)
Baptism of believers only by immersion only, non-sacramental.
Two ordinances: Baptism & Lord's Supper
Priesthood of believers
Independent and autonomous congregations
The visible return of Christ to Earth.

I started to mention two offices: Pastor and Deacon, but some Baptist churches have adopted the elder-led model, or some variation. Pastor/Deacon is still the prevalent model.
What do we mean by Cardinal doctrines?

Some believers don't hold to some of these.
__________________
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay..." (2 Cor. 4:7 ESV).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM
JesusFan JesusFan is offline
6,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Macomb Michigan
Posts: 6,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCGreek View Post
What do we mean by Cardinal doctrines?

Some believers don't hold to some of these.
Would instead call them "essentials" of Christian faith, must be adhered to by believers...

saved by grace alone, faith alone
bible infallible/inspired by god
trinity
Second Coming
water baptism

To name some of them!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
ktn4eg's Avatar
ktn4eg ktn4eg is offline
3,000 Posts Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,484
Default

To which Cardinal doctrines are we referring?

Those of the St. Louis Cardinals? What about the Louisville Cardinals? Maybe the Arizona Cardinals? Oh....OK...Wrong forum. Sorry, me bad.
__________________
"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness."
--Lamentations 3:21-23
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


The Fundamental Top 500   The Best Baptist Web Sites at Baptist411.com  
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Style Copyright: Wrestling Clique Wrestling Forum
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
 

Christian Web Hosting for BaptistBoard.com is provided by BaptistHost.net