BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Music Ministry

Music Ministry If it has to do with music - share it here

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

View Poll Results: Can any musical instrument be used in corporate worship?
They are all acceptable, given they are used wisely 40 93.02%
No drums should be used 1 2.33%
orchestral percussion is ok, but no drum set. 0 0%
Acoustic guitars are ok, but no electic guitars 0 0%
No guitars should be used 0 0%
Piano and organ only should be used 0 0%
Organs should not be used 0 0%
No instruments should be used. 2 4.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Default Can any instrument be used in Corporate Worship?

Are they all acceptable? To be clear, I'd like what you feel is appropriate or inappropriate IN GENERAL, EVEN FOR CHURCHES THAT YOU DON'T ATTEND. (In other words, if you really don't like accordions, but think we are biblically allowed to use them, don't say 'NO ACCORDIONS'!)
No, I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God."

- Andrew Peterson

Last edited by 12strings; 12-12-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
2,000 Posts Club

It must surely depend on many factors. How suitable is the instrument for accompanying the singing? (I don't think many people could sing accompanied only by triangles, or only by claves, or only by a tin whistle, yet all those are musical instruments). How is the instrument being played? Some instrumentalists play so loudly that they drowns the singing. It is possible to play an instrument in such a flamboyant way as to draw attention to the instrumentalist. Neither is right in a church service, in my view.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Modern American Christians would try to persuade you that guitars are sufficient for leading a congregation. They are, of course, wrong. The guitar is one of the worst choices for leading a group of people, since it cannot carry the melody. And I'm not saying this because I hate guitars or hate contemporary music in church. It's a musical issue.

There is a reason why the organ was once considered the best choice. If we didn't feel the need to conform to secular society in our services, people would freely admit that is far superior to the guitar.

Overbearing percussion is also not conducive to corporate singing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Banned

Any instrument can be used but a band on the stage will give me an excuse to stay home.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Any instrument is allowed and I believe we've had MANY odd ones in our service through the years. Currently in our small church, we tend to have homemade backing tracks (hubby is an audio geek so has a lot of great programs to do this - and he does the tracks himself) that he will play along with on his guitar. We have no piano but some worship teams will bring in a keyboard and at times, we've just used straight backing tracks with no live music. It's been hard because we have more singers than musicians right now!

But as long as it is played with skill and glorifies God and adds to the worship rather than detracts from it, it's fine. Tasteful is a big key!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:48 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaigner View Post
Modern American Christians would try to persuade you that guitars are sufficient for leading a congregation. They are, of course, wrong. The guitar is one of the worst choices for leading a group of people, since it cannot carry the melody. And I'm not saying this because I hate guitars or hate contemporary music in church. It's a musical issue.

There is a reason why the organ was once considered the best choice. If we didn't feel the need to conform to secular society in our services, people would freely admit that is far superior to the guitar.

While you can play the melody on a guitar, I get what you're saying. I also agree that the organ is the best instrument for congregational singing.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaigner View Post

Would you not allow that a guitar IS sufficient if that is all a small congregation has? Organs are expensive, and there is not likely to be a church member who "just happens" to have one at home.

On a personal preference only, if there could only be one instrument, I would say I think a 6-foot grand piano would be the best accompaniment for congregational singing. I once attended a pastors conference where over 5,000 men sang hymns led by only a pianist. (Even though the piano was "miked" you could really only here it during the introductions and short pauses between the lines or stanzas).

Also, I would say a large bass drum would be the worst instrument to lead...
No, I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God."

- Andrew Peterson

Last edited by 12strings; 12-12-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM
2,000 Posts Club

The thoughtless human voice might be the worst.

Being next to someone boisterously bellowing out in self grandiosity not only kills the desire of those around to participate, but can brew discord which will quench the Holy Spirit in the assembly. Besides being ear offensive consider how many don’t realize that rather horrible breath can emanate from their cavernous mouths.

I remember years ago being in a brush arbor meeting and such was the deportment of a self important person. Folks broke out in laughter when a June bug flew into that gaping mouth.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
9,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedman View Post
I remember years ago being in a brush arbor meeting and such was the deportment of a self important person. Folks broke out in laughter when a June bug flew into that gaping mouth.
I'm laughing just hearing you tell about it! LOL!

As a woman, I'm not saying that I can do it all, have it all, be it all, nor know it all. My goodness, I don't even want it all. I'm not saying that I'm WonderWoman. All I am saying is that no one has ever seen me and WonderWoman in the same room.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Would you not allow that a guitar IS sufficient if that is all a small congregation has?
Years ago our only pianist had a serious heart attack and was out of church for nearly a year. I filled in and played acoustic guitar for all services. I prefer piano or organ myself, but guitar will do if that is all you have.

I have played electric in church, last year I played What Child Is This on a Telecaster through a Marshall amp using chord melody style for our Christmas show. Folks enjoyed it.

I play acoustic every Sunday for Sunday School, my pastor also plays acoustic. On Friday nights we play acoustic for Kid's Church, my daughter plays piano with us.