BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist DEBATE Forums (Baptist Only) > General Baptist Discussions

General Baptist Discussions Baptist topics that don't fit in the forums below

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Default public schools

I was listening to Friedeman this morning and he was discussing the problem of public school for Christian families. Many Christian kids leave the faith after entering the public school systems, I think we all know this is a problem. He said that Al Mohler has proposed SBC families to consider taking their kids out of public schools and start home schooling them. I did a little research and found this was a topic at the SBC yearly meeting in 2005 or 06. I never had heard this before, I guess my head was in the snad. He also said Franklin Graham promotes keeping our kids in the school systems to be a witness.

It is strange that I have never heard any progress on this subject for it is a big problem as far as I'm concerned. What do you all think the right thing to do is? Take our kids out or leave them in for a witness?

Sola scriptura Sola fide Sola gratia Solus Christus Soli Deo gloria
Old 12-12-2011, 06:28 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to Ruiz Send a message via Yahoo to Ruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaSaint View Post
I was listening to Friedeman this morning and he was discussing the problem of public school for Christian families. Many Christian kids leave the faith after entering the public school systems, I think we all know this is a problem. He said that Al Mohler has proposed SBC families to consider taking their kids out of public schools and start home schooling them. I did a little research and found this was a topic at the SBC yearly meeting in 2005 or 06. I never had heard this before, I guess my head was in the snad. He also said Franklin Graham promotes keeping our kids in the school systems to be a witness.

It is strange that I have never heard any progress on this subject for it is a big problem as far as I'm concerned. What do you all think the right thing to do is? Take our kids out or leave them in for a witness?
While a parent ultimately makes the decision, I think Christians should seriously consider removing their children from public schools. Education is not secular, it is a distinctly Christian act rooted in God.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Well I don’t know where you have been SolaSaint, but we have our own forum here on the board dedicated to homeschooling.

Ruiz is right, each parent needs to make this decision for themselves and there is no right answer. It depends on a lot of things. It depends on the school system, the teachers, the children, the availability of Christian School alternatives, and the ability of the parents.

In our case, depending on where we were living our children attended Christian School, were homeschooled, and now all are attending public schools (1 in college now). I believe that the early years are the most important and when no Christian School was available we homeschooled. But as our children grew we “mainstreamed” them into the local public school system.

We are blessed with a great school system here. Prayer at all events, the chorus is doing their Christmas concert at our church tomorrow night. No problem with religious music or any other Christian reference. We had a slip sent home today from one of the schools announcing that they were having a convocation service Wednesday. There will be a biblical devotion and no T shirts will be allowed. Their school issued polo shirts are the uniform of the day.

I know everyone does not have that kind of public school system available.
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
John F. Kennedy
Old 12-12-2011, 07:36 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Honestly, I personally think the best choice for our children is to homeschool them - at least through their elementary and middle school years. We started with the public school but God led us quickly to homeschool and my older girls were homeschooled starting in 2nd and 1st grades. My younger children have never been in school other than our church's preschool. My older girls did go to the public high school for 9th through 12th grades and it was God's leading us to do that to drive us to that decision. It was a very good decision for each of them and I'm not sure what we will do with the younger kids when they get to that age.

I understand the argument about keeping our kids in school as a witness but honestly, are our children fully prepared to be missionaries in a very hostile environment? Is that the right thing to do with our kids? I don't think so. I also don't think that many Christian schools are much better than public school and as such, I think the homeschooling option is the best.

But bottom line, it's a decision each parent should make with counsel from the Lord. It's VITALLY important that parents understand that it's not an all or none proposition and it's OK to homeschool for a couple of years then send them back if that is what God leads you to do.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 PM
2,000 Posts Club

I agree with everyone, it is a decision to be made with much prayer and by the parents. I definitely have had my head in the sand on this, but I don't have kids that are school age. However I haven't seen a big rise in home schoolers and I deal with public schools in my job and I really don't see any change in populations. Seems like the home schoolers started out about 15-20 years and has stayed about the same level. Of course I know there are many variables that come into play, especially location. I would like to see more private Christian schools that offer a low cost alternative to both Home School and Public school. In the SBC we see much of our money going to colleges that are for our kids to attend, why can't we include K-12 opportunities?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:52 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Home-schooled children wander from the faith, also. So do private-schooled children.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM
9,000 Posts Club

I've said it before and I will say it again.

Every one who parents a child has a responsibility - not a right - to seek God's will in how they will educate their children.

For some that means public school or charter school, for others it means Christian/private school or homeschool.

But that's not the end of story!

Once the decision has been made - the parent has another obligation to jump in HEADFIRST into that school system, beit public or private, and to become an active partner in their child's education.

I'm 50 years old and I've done it all - literally. Public school, private school, Christian school, tutoring homeschoolers, and now - a charter school. There is good and bad to say about it all.

And for those who are quick to lay scorn at the feet of public schools - please be careful. I don't say this lightly. The worst years I ever had as far as foul-mouthed students and students who were sexually experimental with no regard for discipline, Christ, or their elders were the four years that I spent at two different Christian schools.

Beware what doctrine that they are teaching your children. I was amazed at Christian people who just dropped their children off at the door and never asked, "What are you teaching my children?" I taught the Bible for 4 years and conducted chapel for 4th-6th graders for 4 years and no one ever once came to me and asked me just what doctrine that I was teaching. Not a parent - not an administrator - not a co-worker - no one.

And please watch out for administrators who are good and decent Christian people, but who are not educators, and who are too afraid to discipline children for fear of losing out on that tuition money.

Just because a child wears a uniform with "Christian" stitched onto his or her shirt doesn't guarantee his or her salvation nor their santification.

A poor Christian school can be just as destructive as a poor public school - and in my opinion, even worse.

As a woman, I'm not saying that I can do it all, have it all, be it all, nor know it all. My goodness, I don't even want it all. I'm not saying that I'm WonderWoman. All I am saying is that no one has ever seen me and WonderWoman in the same room.

Last edited by Scarlett O.; 12-12-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:00 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to Ruiz Send a message via Yahoo to Ruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaigner View Post
Home-schooled children wander from the faith, also. So do private-schooled children.
That is true, but that is not the reason to discount homeschooling. The reason to homeschool is rooted in your theology of education. Can a person have a proper education without the foundation being based upon God? There is no true education that can occur apart from the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the foundation. Yes, people can learn, but they cannot be truly educated.

While there are some homeschoolers who turn secular and some in the public schools who remain faithful, I believe that faithfulness to a Christian Education is better with a foundation on the Gospel than a secular education with a foundation upon secularism.

Last edited by Ruiz; 12-12-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:02 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett O. View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again.

Every one who parents a child has a responsibility - not a right - to seek God's will in how they will educate their children.

For some that means public school or charter school, for others it means Christian/private school or homeschool.

But that's not the end of story!

Once the decision has been made - the parent has another obligation to jump in HEADFIRST into that school system, beit public or private, and to become an active partner in their child's education.

I'm 50 years old and I've done it all - literally. Public school, private school, Christian school, tutoring homeschoolers, and now - a charter school. There is good and bad to say about it all.

And for those who are quick to lay scorn at the feet of public schools - please be careful. I don't say this lightly. The worst years I ever had as far as foul-mouthed students and students who were sexually experimental with no regard for discipline, Christ, or their elders were the four years that I spent at two different Christian schools.

Beware what doctrine that they are teaching your children. I was amazed at Christian people who just dropped their children off at the door and never asked, "What are you teaching my children?" I taught the Bible for 4 years and conducted chapel for 4th-6th graders for 4 years and no one ever once came to me and asked me just what doctrine that I was teaching. Not a parent - not an administrator - not a co-worker - no one.

And please watch out for administrators who are good and decent Christian people, but who are not educators, and who are too afraid to discipline children for fear of losing out on that tuition money.

Just because a child wears a uniform with "Christian" stitched onto his or her shirt doesn't guarantee his or her salvation nor their santification.

A poor Christian school can be just as destructive as a poor public school - and in my opinion, even worse.
I don't think there can be a better post than this

"Let us reason together" says the Lord.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Yes that is information that I wasn't aware of. Now I'm more for Home Schooling. It defintely needs a lot of research and consideration upon the parents part.

Closed Thread