BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Baptist Board.com Archives (read only) > 2006 Archive

2006 Archive 2006 Archive

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 01-03-2006, 06:34 AM
8,000 Posts Club

TBN Explains Why It Has Bumped Hal Lindsey's Program in December

By Allie Martin
December 8, 2005

(AgapePress) - A spokesman for the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN) says a popular weekly prophecy program with a news format will return to the air early next year. But the show's host is still puzzled over its preemption this month.

Last week officials with TBN announced that Hal Lindsey's weekly television show International Intelligence Briefing, which examines current world events in the light of scripture, was pulled from December's lineup for two reasons: because it did not have a Christmas theme, and because it placed Arabs in a negative light. John Casoria, TBN's general secretary, explains the network's policy.

"We give our regular programmers the opportunity to do Christmas-focused programming [in December], and if they don't do so they get bumped to make space for other Christmas programming," Casoria says.

Explaining his company's decision, the TBN spokesman says network founder Paul Crouch believed that one of Lindsey's programs toward the end of November was "inflammatory towards Islam and towards the Muslims."

But Lindsey says this marks the first time he has been preempted for the entire month of December. He says his program has served as a warning about the true nature of Islam. "If you read the Quran, which I've done intensively, you'll find that it is not a religion of peace," he says. "This is why so many Muslims -- once they become really dedicated in reading the Quran and following the Quran closely -- they become radical."

He says he convinced there is a desperate need for Christians to learn the true nature of Islam -- and why that religion is such a threat. "It's a threat not only to Christians but especially to Israel," he asserts, "and they're determined to destroy the nation of Israel."

Casoria explains TBN does not want to censor Lindsey's show, but that it also wants to reach out to the Arab world with the gospel of Christ. "Dr. [Paul] Crouch [founder of TBN] believes the way to reach these people is not to inflame their senses against TBN but to show these people the love of God," he says, "to reason with them in order to bring them to at least an understanding of what Christianity is about."

Casoria says TBN plans to start airing International Intelligence Briefing again early next year.

http://headlines.agapepress.org/archive/12/82005d.asp
Old 01-03-2006, 07:13 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Strange.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Joseph_Botwinick
I don't particularly like the Blasphemy Network that much, but that was the right move. Too bad they didn't can him for good. Not that this would have made them any less Blasphemous with their Word of Faith garbage, but at least they could have been a little less prejudiced. Oh well.

Joseph Botwinick
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 AM

I didn't know TBN broadcast in Arabic.
Per Jesus: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:" Matthew 12:25
Keep looking up Christian American - It's going to be a rough ride from here on out!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 AM
1,000 Posts Club

More than likely, he wasn't bringing in enough donations to make it worth their while. They would not get rid of Bennie Hinn no matter what his opinions were.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 AM

Here'a thread about it over on Free Republic:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../1532634/posts

I, too, wonder if TBN was threatened by CAIR.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph_Botwinick:
I don't particularly like the Blasphemy Network that much, but that was the right move. Too bad they didn't can him for good. Not that this would have made them any less Blasphemous with their Word of Faith garbage, but at least they could have been a little less prejudiced. Oh well.

Joseph Botwinick
Do you disagree with Lindsay's view of the Muslim religion?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Lindsey responded to this allegation: "I don't have to cast radical Muslims in a bad light. If the intimidation and persecution of moderate Muslims makes radical Islam look bad, that is because it is bad not that I 'cast' them in a bad light. But I have never cast the Arabs as a race in a bad light."

"I also seek to show that radical Islam poses the greatest danger ever faced by the United States," he added. "I believe that God called me as 'a watchman on the wall' to warn America and I must obey although it is sometimes unpopular."

<snip>

Lindsey argued, however, his program is not shown in the Middle East.

"My show is produced for the Western world and for Christians who are at the most risk from radical Islam," he said.

Lindsey has been associated with TBN since its inception in the early 1970s.
Source

Hal Lindsey's Web Site:

http://www.hallindseyoracle.com/

An editorial on the HL website about terrorism
Per Jesus: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:" Matthew 12:25
Keep looking up Christian American - It's going to be a rough ride from here on out!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Send a message via AIM to Debby in Philly
Lindsey is right. Islam is not a religion of peace. Good for him for sticking to his opinion.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:28 PM
20,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunyon:
More than likely, he wasn't bringing in enough donations to make it worth their while. They would not get rid of Bennie Hinn no matter what his opinions were.
Good point, and I happen to agree. There are several folks who broadcast on TBN who, for lack of a batter phrase, are anti-Islam, who are likely bringing in more $$$.

Hal Lindsey simply has no appeal, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.