BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Default Difference between Bible and Baptist Churches

What is the difference between bible churches (I'm particually thinking of those linked to Dallas Theological Seminary) and baptist churches? It seems like they have very similar beliefs.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labaptist View Post
What is the difference between bible churches (I'm particually thinking of those linked to Dallas Theological Seminary) and baptist churches? It seems like they have very similar beliefs.
Since they are non-denominational they can vary greatly, since anyone can call themselves a "bible church" like anyone can call themselves a "baptist church." Most bible churches I've seen aren't any different than most baptist churches I've been in. As can be expected the ones with DTS ministers tend to fall in line with the DTS beliefs.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:31 AM
Banned

So, what does naming a church or denomination "bible" mean or imply -- that they use the Bible and no one else does? That they believe it and no on else does?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wrenn View Post
So, what does naming a church or denomination "bible" mean or imply -- that they use the Bible and no one else does? That they believe it and no on else does?
I don't think it is meant to be pajorative, rather simply they want everyone to know they value the Bible very highly...just as a humble baptist would readily concede that there are non-baptist churches who practice Baptism correctly.
No, I am a priest and a prince in the Kingdom of God."

- Andrew Peterson
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 AM
8,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12strings View Post
I don't think it is meant to be pajorative, rather simply they want everyone to know they value the Bible very highly...just as a humble baptist would readily concede that there are non-baptist churches who practice Baptism correctly.
That was a good answer.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

Most All Protestant churches in the US are contaminated by Darbyism even though a corrupted version of Calvinism is appearing.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM
10,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwald View Post
Most All Protestant churches in the US are contaminated by Darbyism even though a corrupted version of Calvinism is appearing.
actually, someone like me experiences best of both worlds, as I am a calvinistic Dispy!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwald View Post
What do you mean by your above Highlighted statement?

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua1 View Post
actually, someone like me experiences best of both worlds, as I am a calvinistic Dispy!
Well you are half right anyway.

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
3,000 Posts Club

FWIW, my experiences in both se PA & middle TN going back as far as 1969 to the present is that you really can't make a broad-brushed, all-encompassing, ALWAYS-true judgment on either ALL so-called "Bible" churches or ALL churches that identify themselves as "Baptist."

IOW, you simply have to evaluate each local assembly by itself to be able to come to any valid conclusion(s).

I've been in "Baptist" services that were a complete disaster (e.g., one where the preacher's sole sermon was simply a review of the works of Ernest Hemmingway!!!), & I've also attended so-called "Bible" church services where there was good, very solid EXPOSITORY preaching (Is there REALLY any other kind of truly edifying Bible preaching??!!??)

I've learned that one truly can't "judge" a local assembly solely on its name.

Why?

Well, you might recall that Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "the PRINCE of Preachers," and the one that most every Baptist will invoke to prove his/her point on just about EVERY theological topic there is, was, for many years, pastor of London's Metropolitan Tabernacle. That mega-church didn't have "Baptist" in its name when CHS was its pastor!!

My point?

Simply that you can't truly make a valid conclusion of ANY local assembly JUST because it does (or doesn't!) have the word "Baptist" in its name!!
--Lamentations 3:21-23