BaptistBoard.com  

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%
Register FAQ Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Left Container Right Container

Go Back   BaptistBoard.com > Christian DEBATE Forums (All Christians) > Other Christian Denominations

Other Christian Denominations Debate other denominations' doctrines/beliefs here.

Fewer Ads for Registered Users - Register Now!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Default Why did Jesus and His disciples baptize?

It's only mentioned in John 3:22 and John 4:1, and I don't recall seeing it discussed on this board, but Jesus and His disciples baptized large numbers of people. Even more than John the Baptist did.

Why did He do this and what kind of baptism was this? I believe any answer given would be speculative but I would still like to hear some opinions.

Anyone?

Last edited by Zenas; 07-22-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 AM

Greetings Zenas,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenas View Post
It's only mentioned in John 3:22 and John 4:1, and I don't recall seeing it discussed on this board, but Jesus and His disciples baptized large numbers of people. Even more than John the Baptist did.

Why did He do this and what kind of baptism was this? I believe any answer given would be speculative but I would still like to hear some opinions.
Baptism was introduced by John the Baptist, and was then continued by Jesus and his disciples. The full significance was not realised until after the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Baptism is the appointed means of identifying with the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus.
Mark 1:4 (KJV): John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
John 4:1 (KJV): When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,
Acts 8:5 (KJV): Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them.
Acts 8:12 (KJV): But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
Acts 22:16 (KJV): And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
Romans 6:1-8 (KJV): 1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? 2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? 4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: 6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. 7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. 8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:

Kind regards
Trevor
Old 07-27-2013, 04:16 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Mikva to make clean. OldxJewish ceremony.

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739

Last edited by Earth, Wind & Fire; 07-27-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:49 AM
1,000 Posts Club

John 4:2 says that Jesus was not baptizing but that the disciples were, for those who care what the scripture literally says.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:10 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Trinitarian baptism was not initiated until after Jesus' resurrection. It is logical to conclude that the baptism of Jesus' disciples was the same as John's; a baptism of repentance. Keep in mind that some of Jesus' disciples were previously disciples of John, so they would have been acquainted with that baptism.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 AM
15,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
Trinitarian baptism was not initiated until after Jesus' resurrection. It is logical to conclude that the baptism of Jesus' disciples was the same as John's; a baptism of repentance. Keep in mind that some of Jesus' disciples were previously disciples of John, so they would have been acquainted with that baptism.
But he had a Briss....which is quite important to the Jews....even today! He was a nice Jewish boy....not a Goy...oye!

"Were it not for God's choosing some, Heaven would have none." (Jer 13:23; John 6:38-9, 44)

Hosea 10:12
12 Sow for yourselves righteousness;
Reap in mercy;
Break up your fallow ground,
For it is time to seek the Lord,
Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.

“God is with me wherever I go.” ---George Whitefield, 1739
Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Send a message via ICQ to Gup20 Send a message via AIM to Gup20

1 Cor 10:2 and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea;
3 and all ate the same spiritual food;
4 and all drank the same spiritual drink, for they were drinking from a spiritual rock which followed them; and the rock was Christ.
5 Nevertheless, with most of them God was not well-pleased; for they were laid low in the wilderness.
6 Now these things happened as examples for us, so that we would not crave evil things as they also craved.

It is a spiritual signification act of repentance and turning away from sin.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Helwys View Post
John 4:2 says that Jesus was not baptizing but that the disciples were, for those who care what the scripture literally says.
Or since John 3:22 says Jesus was baptizing and 4:2 says He didn't, it could mean that Jesus baptized a few at first, say His disciples for instance, and then turned it over to them to do.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM
2,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald View Post
So when do you suppose the members of the first church, those who received the Holy Spirit on Pentecost, got their Trinitarian baptism? There is no record of this, although they may have received it without scripture mentioning it.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 AM
1,000 Posts Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenas View Post
Or since John 3:22 says Jesus was baptizing and 4:2 says He didn't, it could mean that Jesus baptized a few at first, say His disciples for instance, and then turned it over to them to do.
Yes, possibly so. I wasn't trying to use the verse to establish doctrine, just pointing it out since verse 1 had been quoted but verse 2 left out.

The Quakers quote it to imply that water baptism is not necessary to salvation, a position I share, but then I don't agree with discarding something just because it isn't necessary to salvation.