1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I would descrbe myself....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Nov 12, 2013.

?
  1. Africa

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Asia

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Europe

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  4. India Sub-Coninent including Pakistan, ect

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Indian (aka Native Americian)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Latino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Mixed

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  8. Other

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    this is a poll - please wait until I complee the poll befroe making any posts.

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Is the poll completed yet?

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes it is - I forgot to edit post # 1

12 lashes with a wet noodle

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

According to the human genome project, we're all from Africa. :laugh:

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats not the question. To refresh your memory the question is:
    I would consider my cultural background from

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

I am sure most of our members here are going to select European, but even that is a big category. The truth is there is no "pure blood" anyone, we are all a mixture of races. I have done lots of genealogical work on my family and others and I have a standard "Statistical Notes" page I insert into any work I do for anyone.

7. Ed B

Ed B Member

I read the poll question to be asking about cultural identity rather than ethnic identity. I agree the categories are broad but cultural identity can be, and often times is, distinct from ethnicity.

A blonde-haired, blue-eyed Norwegian who embraces Buddhism and retreats to a Buddhist monastery is culturally Asian.

Likewise, I would suggest that our current president and first lady are culturally European based on their cultural attributes such as lifestyle, religion, political and economic philosphies, etc.

I identify as culturally European based on the choices in this poll.

8. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Other - No option for "The South"

9. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm an American mutt. lol I don't know a ton about my ancestry (other than I'm a descendant of Ben Franklin), but from what my mom tells me it's all over the place.
    My grandfather was French Canadian. My grandmother had a lot of background from different countries in Europe. I don't know much about my father's side, but my mom said he claimed to have some Cherokee indian.

But that's my ancestry...what ethnic or cultural traits I tend to have? I have no flippin' clue. I'm just an American. lol

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

I had to go with other, even though I fit into the "European" category, ostensibly.

My "cultural background" is Midwest farmboy. My German-Irish-English roots are irrelevant to my upbringing, as by the time I was born, my family had been here for over 220 years. We'd forgotten that "heritage" -- which, honestly, wasn't all that great to begin with. There was nothing to be proud of regarding our family and where it came from. Essentially, our family in the New World was founded by three Irish brothers who were convicted of horse thieving in England and Scotland, and were told they could either be hanged, or go to the colonies. Who would choose dangling at the end of a rope?

I know nothing about Irish or English -- or even German -- traditions, given the last of those goes back an additional 120 years prior to the three brothers. My "influences" in growing up were two dedicated men, my dad and granddad, who served in the military, came home to the farm, married, raised good kids, and worked hard all their lives. There may be families who remained under the influence of Old World culture for more than a couple generations, but I don't know any of them.

#10 thisnumbersdisconnected, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013