1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ross vs. Hovind Debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Dec 14, 2013.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hugh Ross discredits himself when he says that the plain reading of the text and what people often see most (the average reader) is 6 long periods of time in Genesis one. That is just false. The average church member who does not have an emotional need to have to have some deep and buried meaning that only hyper-intellectuals can discover and everyone must come to them for understanding would never read it that way.

3. quantumfaith

Thanks for your input. I know "you know" I come down differently than you on all this "science v faith" stuff.

You do know that Dr. Hovind is now serving a prison term.....some kind of IRS or tax issues I think, though not certain on that.

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Hovind isn't qualified to be the face of creationism, anyway, and most of his science was junk. That said, it doesn't disprove creationism. It merely proves that well-intentioned but sinful men can wreck their lives and ruin their witness.

5. quantumfaith

I am not, and never have attempted in anyway to disprove creationism. I am as ardent as you in that position. I agree, the fact that Dr. Hovind is serving a term has no impact on the position he takes. I also agree and remain convinced that his science is not solid, rather it reflects his need to fit it to his convictions. But we are all guilty of that, to one extent or another.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not address Hovind. He did not come into play in my post.

7. quantumfaith

OK Rev. Thanks for clearing that up.

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Especially when the process of naming day and night exactly matches the modern 24 hour period that Joe Avg. has seen his whole life. Light is day, dark is night, together they make up one day...too familiar.

9. quantumfaith

So you think everything in the scriptural record is crystal clear, and You have it all pegged just right.....?

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not what was said or implied. He just simply responded to my criticism of Ross's claim about what the plain meaning of the text is.

11. quantumfaith

Apologies then....and again thank you for being so responsive to clear things up.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't Dr ross have bulit into coming to the text in gensis a belief that there are billions of yeras in creation, and that one must read the bible NOT as literal/plain menaing, but some type of 'scientific" way?

13. quantumfaith

Yes, his position is the earth and universe are OLD. Much older than that of Dr. Hovind's position.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes except he believes he is reading it literally.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

I don't know what you mean about "junk" science. Hovind tended to speak to young people in most of his seminars, so his lectures and debates were purposely very simple, designed so most anyone could understand.

But his points were good and valid as this college professor from Arkansas admitted;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtt5dFyIvy8#t=138

As far as Hovind and his tax troubles, I don't know much, but I am sure it was related to his ministry. He did preach the gospel in addition to his seminars on evolution.

I sincerely believe Hovind was persecuted because he went to universities all over and refuted evolution. He made lot of enemies in high places.

16. quantumfaith

According to Wikepedia, Dr. Hovind has a Bachelors in Religious Education from Midwestern Bible College. He has a Masters and Doctorate (Correspondence) from Patriot University. Although anyone can certainly study and "show themselves approved", Dr. Hovind does not have any serious, as far as I can tell, science education credentials.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

And yet, in the video which I provided a link for, a college professor who teaches evolution at the University of Central Arkansas said he could not refute Hovind's arguments.

Hovind did teach High School science for 15 years I believe, he is from a family of teachers. He is no dummy.

18. quantumfaith

Had to check out things, Ross is not an "evolutionist" he gives good articulate reasoning (mathematical) for having that position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtFHBV0jEE8#t=105

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

The video I provided a link for shows Hovind debating Dr. Ben Waggoner who teaches evolution at the University of Central Arkansas. Watch just the first few minutes and Dr. Waggoner admits he could not refute Ken Hovind's arguments in an earlier debate they held.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtt5dFyIvy8#t=138

20. quantumfaith

I did watch about 10 minutes and will watch whole thing later.