1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unbelievable: NLRB rules NCAA athletes can unionize

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 26, 2014.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Wow. Strikes me this is another gross overreach by a corrupt and biased agency. The board is made up of unconstitutional "recess appointees" that were named to it when Congress wasn't really in recess. They're decisions are already in question because of that fact, and now they've made another controversial one.

I think they're trying to build a base among student athletes who will likely not, later in life, be union members, but white collar workers. Perhaps the NLRB biased appointees think that college athletes who are a member of a union now will stay in the liberal/Marxist mindset later in life?

Thoughts?

#1 thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I say BRAVO!!! The NCAA needs to go away because there is too much abuse of power. And this may be just the thing to force the Big 6 conferences to form another governing agency that allows them to give the athletes a piece of the pie.

The NCAA and the universities have been getting fat off the revenue sports for too long with these kids struggling if they want to go see a movie.

They can't work if they are on full scholarship. So unless your parents can afford to help...

Several of the coaches had even asked about being able to give the kids a stipend out of their salaries. It would probably disadvantage the smaller schools.

But if the student athletes are allowed to unionize and pool their voices, hopefully it will get rid of the NCAA and cause these conferences to pool their resources to make sure the athletes are taken care of equally.

Hopefully this will mean that ahletes will start to stay in school longer without the strain on their families.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Oh, yeah, let the colleges and universities do whatever it takes to get the best athletes without thought or care of what happens to them if they get hurt, flunk out, etc. The NCAA has its flaws, and needs some major reforms, but getting rid of the organization isn't a good answer. There are very few programs that are honest and above board. Putting an end to the NCAA and letting agents negotiate scholarship? Really? You've got to be kidding!!

Also, I apologize Zaac, I edited the OP while you were posting. Makes it look like you didn't want to reply to the rest, but it wasn't there when you saw it. :thumbsup:

#3 thisnumbersdisconnected, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No problem TND. I'm not a union fan either. But I'm even less of a fan of the NCAA. They continue to mete out screwed up findings and attempt to enforce some straight out stupid stuff for the students while they line the NCAA coffers with the money made off the students.

It needs to go away, at least in Division I. The major conferences almost pulled the plug a few years back but decided to give them a chance to make some changes.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A tough issue. I don't see how a regional NLRB can make this ruling instead of a court of law. While the athletes are clearly being compensated by the universities I would suggest they are outside contractors and not employees and therefore don't have the legal right to organize.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More union corruption.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Yup, that's another concern. :thumbsup:

Sheesh, 'specially if the Steelworkers are involved!

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright, who else can unionize? cheerleaders? band members? debating team? concert musicians and singers? dramatic actors?...

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

They'll have to form their own unions. But hey, the athletes are in luck! Seems there's already a College Athletes Players Association formed to represent them!

[​IMG]

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if players go on strike the schools will play scab teams.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unions are desperate. No one likes them. College students are not going to want to pay union dues.

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    or have the value of their tuition, books, and fees taxed. Or even fill out complex 1040 to count them all expenses. Imagine the cheating.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that Baptist Board members should be allowed to unionize.

Send dues to 1-800-555-baptistboardunionpresident.
    Dues only 5,000 dollars per week

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

Union wages make the price of cars, steel, coal, oil, etc. go up every time there is a new contract. Season tickets for Mizzou football game right now start at $489 for seven games. That's $70 per seat per game to sit behind the endzone. Want to sit on the 50? Or even the 25? Forget it, those tickets went a long time ago at $1,300, or $186 a game. You can get a goal line ticket for $780, or $112 a seat per game.

On the other hand, you can get upper level seats at Arrowhead for the Kansas City Chiefs on the 50 for $375 for the season. Tickets in Seattle are about $50 higher per seat, and they won the Super Bowl!

What's the advent of the "College Athletes Players Association" going to do to these prices?

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing, unless the university is a private institution. Public universities are not covered by the ruling.

16. thisnumbersdisconnected

... for now ...