1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church music debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 1, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go to Renewing Your Mind.org and listen to the latest podcast with RC Sproul Jr. on music. My conclusion is that those that believe drums, and guitars should not be in the worship and that Churches should only have one style of music are in error. I am no music expert but by the little I know and from what I heard that was my conclusion. I was heavily indoctrinated on music at Bob Jones and they never looked at opposing views in fairness and often misrepresented their views so it's good to hear other views.

http://www.ligonier.org/rym/

#1 evangelist6589, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2014
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

I prefer old hymns. I like the theological depth. But some of the newer music (with drums and guitars) are basically, if not literally, psalms set to music. My preference says more about me than it does about contemporary worship music.

3. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: Could not have said it better.

4. Brutus

Brutus Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't post very often but I want to say to you, that you need to sit down and give a serious look at some of the old hymns that you're calling theologically deep. Quite a few of them lack theology all together, and are simply man centered.

5. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

You can compare more musical instruments in a service to a large pack of beagles running a rabbit. The more you have the louder it becomes, to the point you can't hear the words. I'd rather make melody in my heart to the Lord Eph:5:19.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any examples for us to consider?

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, how about if alice cooper wanted to lead worship at your church?

he has been saved by the Lord almost 30 years,and has a heart for music ministry!

8. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

"In the Garden"

I love it, but theology is not it's strong point.

9. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it's about fellowship with God. Try reading 1 John 1:3.

Our walk with God is a biblical theme and it certainly is theological that are we are to walk with him and talk with him.

I believe the reference to the Garden is probably referring to Gethsemane when Jesus told his disciples to watch and pray.

You can call this song shallow but it's still deeper than most CCM songs that I have heard.

10. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I've always preferred the older hymns, but I'm not trying to draw any theological gain out of music. That's a personal conviction. I'd rather have "Amazing Grace" or "The Old Ship of Zion" than one of these (as my pastor calls them) 7-11 songs, which is the same 7 simple verses sung 11 times. Again, personal conviction.

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Garden" in the song is indeed the Garden of Gethsemane. My wife and I are going through Alfred Smith's wonderful Treasury of Hymn Histories in our devotions together, and recently read this song's history. (Al Smith was the founder of Singspiration and a family friend-- http://livinghymns.org/bio.htm.) It was written just after the author had been in Gethsemane on a Holy Land trip, and was deeply impressed by remembering that the Lord had prayed there.

This song should be categorized as a "testimony song" rather than a hymn. Unfortunately, few young people nowadays know enough about the traditional songs of the faith to make these distinctions. I urge all of you young folk to study the old songs a little more before rejecting them.

Furthermore, among IFBs, there are many new songs being written in the style of the old hymns, testimony songs and Gospel songs. (This last category is not the same as the modern term, but was a common term during the days of the Moody-Sankey campaigns.) The church where I now go and its college, where I now go, has an incredible music program, with a genuine music school teaching voice and many instruments in addition to the church and college programs. The teachers here are writing many beautiful songs in the revival tradition which we enjoy in every service.

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd be just as happy if there were no songs in a service but admit that I am enabled to worship through them more than once in a while.

Last Sunday we sang Matt Maher's, "Lord, I Need You" (2002).

It really spoke to my heart! I've been singing it all day.

I'm so happy that we have a mix of old and new!

Lord, I come, I confess
    Bowing here I find my rest
    Without You I fall apart
    You're the One that guides my heart

Refrain:
    Lord, I need You, oh, I need You
    Every hour I need You
    My one defense, my righteousness
    Oh God, how I need You

Where sin runs deep Your grace is more
    Where grace is found is where You are
    And where You are, Lord, I am free
    Holiness is Christ in me

Teach my song to rise to You
    When temptation comes my way
    And when I cannot stand I'll fall on You
    Jesus, You're my hope and stay

You're my one defense, my righteousness
    Oh God, how I need You
    My one defense, my righteousness
    Oh God, how I need You

Rob

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd guess it was more than 25 years ago Al Smith visited our church and sold that book (even then I collected everything I could get my hands on). I purchased a leather back copy of it. (in fact, I think I donated it to the church in the last batch of books - I'd becha its in the pastor's collection now :tongue3:)

Al was ill at the time, sucking oxygen and wheezing up a storm; looking closer to death than life. I was surprised to hear he died many years later (in 2001).
    Good little book.

He told the story of how the song, "His Banner over Me is Love" was composed. He was the composer - the Lord was the author.

Rob

14. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

My Church has an unusual situation in regards to our music program. We have resisted CCM as long as we can. We have tried to appease both seniors, millennials and x generation by offering Traditional Hymns set to a different tempo and believe you me this has only caused more bru-hau-hau. The older generation is complaining (louder)and the young ones are leaving.

ccm

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it best to look at the songs themselves...individually. Are they biblical and do they glorify God? If so, then I do not see why they would be considered "wrong." Insofar as congregational worship, the next questions would be are they appropriate for the congregation (are they "singable," will the congregation worship through the music)? This is more subjective.

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was a good man. I remember meeting him way back when.