1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heresy poll: Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Gold Dragon, Dec 12, 2014.

?
  1. God exists

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Only one God

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. God is omnipotence

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. God is omniscient

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. God is omnipresent

12 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #1 Gold Dragon, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've used the phrase "believe in" in a way that scripture wouldn't support. "believe in" means to rely upon, find hope in, trust, have confidence in

Scripture demands that we "believe in" Jesus Christ. So if you're believing in doctrines, you are a heretic

3. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If you would prefer the phrase "assent to", you can use that instead.

4. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've weighed in on my votes...but I should have asked beforehand:

What exactly do you mean by "heresy." Do you mean unorthodox or a belief that cannot coexist with a belief in Christ (towards salvation)? In other words, do those who hold those heresies simply have misconceptions and error that separate them from a larger group or are these beliefs taken to mean that they are not saved?

I will give an example, I believe that one cannot deny the resurrection of Christ and be a Christian. In other words, this is fundamental to our faith (Paul says it is its foundation) to the point that it is essential to the gospel. But there are other issues that are essential, but not necessarily to salvation. (For example, Adam being a historical figure rather than symbolism is essential, but one doesn't necessarily have to believe this in order to be saved. That person would be inconsistent because of the error. This certainly would be considered heretical, but it does not make that person "lost").

6. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I leave that up to the voter. One of the purposes of this exercise is to encourage thinking about that very question and how we use that word to describe teachings we disagree with and the impact that has.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most obvious tension would be the person that states they hold to the Gospel message, believe in trinity, Jesus died for their sins, was bodily resurrected etc, yet also see no conflict with asserting that the Bible does contain errors and mistakes within it,,,

Are they saved? Yes, but really inconsistent in their thinking, for how we know if what we hold the Bible teaching is actually one of the error frre inspired places?