1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

“don’t judge a man till you walk a mile in his shoes”…..empathy:

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Matt22:37-39, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Matt22:37-39

Matt22:37-39 New Member

“DON’T JUDGE A MAN TILL YOU WALK A MILE IN HIS SHOES”…..EMPATHY:

• the ability to comprehend another person’s actions and emotions
    • the identification of thoughts and emotional states within others
    • the capacity to understand a persons (emotional) reaction
    • the awareness of another’s problems, without experiencing them which can be – in general – understood as the ability of a person to unders
    tand others or to “see where they are coming from”. In contrast to this, the personality trait of a person that is incapable of empathizing with others would be defined as a sociopath.

Romans 14:1 Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and don't argue with them about what they think is right or wrong….. Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.

I find it ironic that many who have a problem with someone being “critical” or “negative” is doing exactly what they are complaining about…? Think about that for a minute. …We all have negative attitudes from time to time. It’s very normal, as it is ones way of trying to figure out “right and wrong”….”fairness and justice”….”good and bad”….to the one who STAYS or LIVES in this mode of thinking it can cause many problems for them, spiritually, emotionally, physically, and socially etc. This way of thinking on a regular bases, steals, your joy, your thankfulness, your motivation, your relationships, let’s just say it isn’t a good place to be in.

Some more than others struggle with a negative outlook; it is part of their makeup. I know I do, being mostly Melancholy in temperament, I have and will always struggle with situational depression and some PTSD. Ones innate temperament, upbringing, experiences, and beliefs, will often determine ones outlook on life, God, others and themselves. I am thankful, I tend to be again by NATURE more of an optimistic person, (Choleric/Sang)…my ex wrote in his likes about me that “I am more optimistic on how things will turn out than he was”….On my spiritual gifts test I always score high in the area of FAITH….I’m not a worrier type, never have been. Many do not realize that FAITH is given by God it isn’t something we conjure up….the only thing we do that counts, is YIELD to God our will…He gives us the tools we need through His power to concur, including I believe FAITH.

OK, so you come across someone with a negative or downer attitude, what are you called to do? Well for one, NOT judge them! View Wesley's Notes for Galatians 6:26:2 Bear ye one another's burdens - Sympathize with, and assist, each other, in all your weaknesses, grievances, trials. And so fulfill the law of Christ - The law of Christ (an uncommon expression) is the law of love: this our Lord peculiarly recommends; this he makes the distinguishing mark of his disciples.

Why do so many people REPEL anything NEGATIVE or perceived to be?

IDK, I’m a realist, and I see myself as a balanced individual in many ways. I see “both” sides to many situations in life. To accept ones negativity in life I think is a good thing…it is WHAT YOU DO WITH IT THAT MATTERS”….even the bible says it isn’t wrong to be ANGRY…it does say though, that in your anger DO NOT SIN…do not ACT upon that anger. EPH, 4:26.

God gave us our emotions for a reason, probably because He has them and we were created in His image. So instead of criticizing another for not “acting” as we think they should act, when we have NO idea what they are going through or have gone through.

Do your best to just be there for them, call them, send them a encouraging message, take them to coffee, pray WITH them, invite them out somewhere (easy to say I’ll pray for you) basically in some TANGIBLE way show JESUS to them, and then that will help them draw closer to God and then you will see the FAITH, JOY, PRAISE…basically the “Fruits of the spirits”…that you so desired.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Suppose you saw a man eating out of a garbage can. You might assume that is bad for him, that he might get sick. Oh, wait, until you have eaten out of a garbage can, you should not judge him.