1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

“The Grand Difference”

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by NetChaplain, Jul 22, 2013.

1. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To fail to differentiate between dispensations is a normative within contemporary Christendom but I believe to fail to seek understanding in this area is to miss a great mass of spiritual growth doctrine available to the Word-hungry believer.

Presently, many do not realize God’s work of division between unbelieving Israel (consisting only of Jewish nationality) and that of the Church (the believer of all nationalities). When God united Himself with Israel it was for eternity and even though their (unbelieving Jew) fellowship is presently broken, He is remaining faithful to His Abrahamic promise to save many of them (Rom 11:26; Jer 31:31-34).

It is my personal belief that due to Israel’s unbelief before they see the Lord Jesus Christ, theirs will be of a lesser blessing (new Earth?) than that of those who believe in this life (new Heaven?); “Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed” (John 20:29).

I do not expect many to understand, be familiar or even desire this dispensational issue and after nearly twenty years of study and research in this area, I find the knowledge of this remains well in excess of its understanding.

-NC

“The Grand Difference”

The Old Testament, speaking broadly, is occupied with the promise and prophecy of the advent of the Messiah Who would come to the chosen people of Israel as their Prophet, and King, and exalt the seed of Abraham above all the nations of the earth. The blessings which the saints of old were taught to expect were of an earthly nature. The daughter of Zion was to look for the coming of her King Who would reign in righteousness. The oppressor should be broken in pieces, and their enemies made to lick the dust of the earth.

Peace should flow like a river, and the earth be full of the knowledge of Jehovah as the waters cover the sea. Long life and prosperous days should be the happy portion of every subject of the glorious kingdom of David’s Lord. In short, the Lord Jesus in the Old Testament is brought forward as the earthly ruler and the executor of divine justice in the earth, especially in connection with the nation of Israel. Accordingly the blessings of the people assume an earthly and national character in perfect accord with these promises.

Now just as the hopes of Israel derived their points of distinction from Messiah the Prince coming to reign here below, so the hopes and calling of the Church received their distinctive marks from the position now assumed by the Lord Jesus Christ on high. This establishes the widest possible difference between Israel and the Church. The difference is that betwixt earthly and heavenly, carnal and spiritual blessing. Where we look in the Old Testament we find the same kind of anticipations. In Egypt and the wilderness, they look for the land of promise with a bountiful basket and store. In Canaan when groaning under the idolatrous rule of apostate kings, or when weeping by the rivers of Babylon, the faithful long for the Redeemer to come to Zion, Who shall bless every man under his own vine and his own pomegranate tree.

But the New Testament sanctions no such expectations for the Christian. The Jew was entitled to hope for blessing here of a worldly nature; but the believer’s blessings are heavenly and spiritual, enjoyed by faith alone. They take their character from the risen and glorified Lord Jesus Christ at the Father’s right hand; and from Him, not as the king of Israel and the ruler of the nations, but as the glorified Head and Life of the Church.

Because a thing is in the Bible it does not warrant the conclusion that it is God’s will for the Christian: we must seek rightly to divide the Word of Truth. What was formerly right for the Jews is for us nothing but the elements of the world. These forms pointed to a reality that is now come; the Body is of the Lord Jesus. The blessed portion of the Christian is that he has died even to the best things of the world, and is now alive to spiritual things in the presence of the Father.

In the Old Testament we get the earthly or millennial family represented by the congregation of Israel, for whom the two goats were offered (Lev 16:8), and the heavenly family, the Church, by Aaron and his sons, whose offering was a bullock (Lev 8:6-14). In the one case, that of the earthly or millennial family, the law will be written in their hearts (Jer 31:33), the inclination to do evil will be superseded. In the other family, the heavenly, that is, Christian, the Lord Jesus is written in their hearts by the Holy Spirit; a great and important distinction, and indicating that the Christian’s blessings are in association with the Lord Jesus who has gone within the veil.

-W J Hocking

2. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jhn 14:6
    Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

Rom 11:23
    And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again.

A careful study of Galatians sheds light on some of the errors within dispensationalist theology. Galatians shows that there are 2 covenants God made with man - The Law and Faith. Galatians 3 shows us that the covenant of Faith (in the gospel of Christ) was instituted 430 years prior to The Law, and therefore exists outside of and is not conditional upon The Law.

God actually preached the gospel of Jesus Christ to Abraham, and when Abraham believed this, he was made righteous:

Gal 3:8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, “ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU.”

Gal 3:6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS.​

The promises made to Abraham and to his "seed" were not to his physical descendants, but to his spiritual descendants - those who had the same faith as Abraham in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Gal 3:7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham.

Gal 3:9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.

Gal 3:16 Now the promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. He does not say, “And to seeds,” as referring to many, but rather to one, “And to your seed,” that is, Christ.

Gal 3:29 And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s descendants, heirs according to promise.​

Jesus confirms this in John 8 when he says that the Jews there were not Abraham's descendants, but rather Satan's descendants, thus showing that God was counting the spiritual descendants of Abraham, not the physical descendants:

Jhn 8:39 “Our father is Abraham!” they declared. “No,” Jesus replied, “for if you were really the children of Abraham, you would follow his example.

Jhn 8:41 No, you are imitating your real father.” They replied, “We aren’t illegitimate children! God himself is our true Father.”

Jhn 8:44 For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.

Jhn 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced as he looked forward to my coming. He saw it and was glad.”​

Galatians 4 shows how those under each covenant relate to one another:

Gal 4:22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman.
    But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise.
    24 This is allegorically speaking, for these women are two covenants: one proceeding from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar.

Gal 4:26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother.
    27 For it is written,
    “REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR;
    BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR;
    FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE

Gal 4:30 But what does the Scripture say?
    “CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN AND HER SON,
    FOR THE SON OF THE BONDWOMAN SHALL NOT BE AN HEIR WITH THE SON OF THE FREE WOMAN.”
    31 So then, brethren, we are not children of a bondwoman, fnbut of the free woman.
    THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND.”​

So we can see, then, that in the Torah, Israel allegorically represents Christians and Ishmael allegorically represents the Jews. This makes sense of this Bible passage:

Gen 17:18 And Abraham said to God, “Oh that Ishmael might live before You!”
    19 But God said, “No, but Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My covenant with him for an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.
    20 “As for Ishmael, I have heard you; behold, I will bless him, and will make him fruitful and will multiply him exceedingly. He shall become the father of twelve princes, and I will make him a great nation.
    21 “But My covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you at this season next year.”​

A great nation (singular) with 12 princes. This is the Jews. This is in contrast to Abraham through Isaac who was to be the "father" of "many nations" - the first believer of the Christians who believe the gospel of Christ. Of course Ishmael was rightful, biological heir, but he was cast out so that God could save all of us along with the Jews through Christ.

3. NetChaplain

NetChaplain Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Gup - Thanks for the informed reply. Concerning covenants, I believe the Sinaitic Covenant was added or brought in along side (Gal 3:19) of the oath God swore to Abraham concerning His promise (covenant--Gen 22:15-18).

I and many of my dispensatioanl peers believe the Second Covenant, which was made in Christ's blood was not made with man but for man. It was made from eternity past between the Son and the Father, consisting of that which the Father ordained to do, which was raise Him from the dead after dying for the elect (Heb 13:20, 21).

A third Covenant (Israel's second and everlasting covenant, which will not be like the first--Jer 31:32) will be made with unbelieving Israel during the Millennium.