1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1.449 Million bpd of Refining Capacity Closed Down

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by KenH, Aug 28, 2005.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seven southeast Louisiana refineries, with a combined daily refining capacity of 1.449 million barrels, were shut or shutting down on Sunday. All were to be closed by Sunday night.

The most vulnerable refineries appear to be the three located in Plaquemines and St. Bernard Parishes east of New Orleans.

St. Bernard Parish is home to Chalmette Refining LLC's 190,000 barrel per day (bpd) Chalmette, Louisiana, plant and Murphy Oil Corp.'s 120,000 bpd Meraux, Louisiana, refinery.

ConocoPhillips has a 247,000 bpd refinery located in Belle Chasse in Plaquemines Parish.

Katrina is expected to come ashore in those two parishes.

A storm surge of 18 to 20 feet is expected in St. Bernard Parish, said Jim Connor at the parish Emergency Operations Center. Residents there are bracing for flooding up to the rooftops of houses.

"We're preparing for something we've never seen before," Connor said.

- Story LINK

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Murphy, Conoco, and Phillips. *Whistle.*
    I suggest filling up today folks.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife and I both did so today. I wouldn't be surprised to see gasoline jump $0.20 per gallon this week.

I hope our Murphy refinery, and the other companies' refineries, survive. If not, I'm not sure the U.S. economy could survive the sustained increase in fuel prices without going into a recession.

Of course, even worse than that kind of physical destruction I fear that the human death toll might be in the thousands if the damage from Katrina is that severe.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just gassed up.