1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Cor 14:34

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by JamesJenn, Jun 18, 2001.

1. JamesJenn

JamesJenn New Member

I know this has been talked about in the family section, but I want to get other opinions. In all the Baptist churches I have been to I have seen a womam get up and sing a solo or share her testimony or something, and I am just wondering should they really be doing that?

2. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JamesJenn:
    I know this has been talked about in the family section, but I want to get other opinions. In all the Baptist churches I have been to I have seen a womam get up and sing a solo or share her testimony or something, and I am just wondering should they really be doing that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1 Cor. 14:34 says:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the very next verse that is key:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church. (14:35)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chapters 11-14 are all, basically, about maintaining order in church meetings, and Paul's admonition to women to keep silent must be read in that light. Clearly he is talking about a teaching situation where women are talking out of turn and disrupting the order. He's not talking about women who are singing, praying, giving announcements, etc. who have been allowed or invited to do so, and who are not disrupting the orderliness of the meeting. (Indeed, they would be part of that order!)