1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Corinthians 11

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ckm49er, Feb 7, 2005.

1. ckm49er

ckm49er New Member

I was talking to a friend who told me that the women in the church she attends have to cover their heads while praying, she says its because of 1 corintians Chapter 11. Now im confused because verse 15 says that "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.", so does that mean that her hair is the covering, i really dont know.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Read in its context---you must consider the phrase "for her hair is given her for a covering."---according to many scolars and theologians---given the history of the period---here's what was happening in the church

The area surrounding Corinth was given over to the worship of the Greek gods and goddesses---one goddess in particular was named Diana---of which her female followers would shave their heads as an act of worship to her.

When the church began to evangelize the city---many of these women who had worshipped diana were being saved and were beginning to be discipled---many of the women would come to church in the weeks that followed--with their heads still shaven--IOW--they were not giving up this particular part of the "diana" ritual---the Apostle Paul writes and tells the women with their heads still shaven

"You ladies are saved now---now let your hair grow back! For the glory of the woman, the word from the Word says, is her hair!"

Remember that woman who anointed Jesus' feet with her hair??? The word says that the glory of the woman is her hair----so, I believe that this woman in her anointing---was casting all of her glory at the feet of the Lord Jesus Christ!---take the passage, "her hair is given her for a covering"---literally true!!

Taken from a husband's point of view---I don't want my wife hideing her hair underneath a hat---unless she's out in the blistering Mississippi sun on a July day!

Brother David

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know where else to post this. Can't be the Cal-Armin forum, can't be anywhere else, but, since this subject on this thread seems to be going into the direction of 'Holiness' I figure this may contribute some relevance.

It's from J.C. Philpot. And I think he's talking about the fine line between true holiness and 'aspired' holiness, whatever that means (if that's even the correct term).

4. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

cmk, the reason for you confusion is that you are not sure whether to trust your own understanding of the Bible or the understanding of this weird church.

Her hair is her covering.

My sister in-law went through this head covering notion and insisted that any woman who did not do it was sinning.

She finally decided that her husband was the covering referred to. Still wrong, but at least she stopped annoying everone.

The women in your friends church believe as they do because they are told that this is so and do not look for themselves as you have done.

MR

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Until the 1950's, it was very unusual to see a woman in church in the United States without a hat or prayer bonnet upon her head. From my point of view, the scripture is expressly clear—women should not pray in public without first putting a covering over their head. There are many different theories as to why God asks this of women, but it is very clear that He does ask it, and I respect His judgment.

Anecdote:

I very clearly remember watching newsreel footage of women going to prayer meetings in the factories where they worked during World War II. As the women entered the room to pray, they passed a table on which was a box of prayer bonnets, and each woman took a prayer bonnet out of the box and put it over her head. We won World War II, and that was the last war we won—and that was the last war where the women wore prayer bonnets when they prayed.

Application:

Don’t question God—obey Him!

[​IMG]