1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1. Corinthians 13:10...

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
    1. Corinthians 13:10

I know that many Christians believe that this "perfect" is the completion of the Bible, the written Word of God. My question is now:

If this "perfect" is not refering to the completion of the Bible but to the 2nd coming of our Lord (and there are also many Christians who believe that), is there another scriptural support that the Church would once have a complete written Word of God? Is there any scripture that told the early Church that there would be a time when they have the written Word of God, the Bible?

Thank you so much for your time.

God bless.

2. atestring

atestring New Member

That which is perfect means when we See God face to face. At present we see through a glass darkly.
    We will see him face to face when he comes.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

John ends Revelation by calling it a book. He began by calling it letters to the churches.

4. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

That´s what I believe, too. But is there a scripture in the Bible about God´s Word which indicates that the Church would once have all revelation they she needs? A scripture that tells us about the time when we don´t need any apostles to receive God´s Word for us but a time when we have Word of God in our hands?

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

6. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I Cor 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away

Notice the use of the word "part" and that is contrasted with "perfect". Perfect here means that which is complete or finished and not necessarily the ultimate in flawlessness. It isn't talking about the Bible or else the previous "parts" would have been done away with instead of combined to form the whole. It is talking about the goal of our transforming and conforming to the image of Christ. All of these gifts aren't the end of our journey, these do not make us complete. They only give us a glimpse of glory but, then shall my "part" knowledge become "complete" knowledge. You can substitute each gift for the word knowledge in the previous sentence. We will never be "perfect" until we meet Him face to face and then we will be completely what He wants us to be.