1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Corinthians 7:12

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by psalms109:31, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Perhaps you should read my commentary. :rolleyes:

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

The Bible, clearly, is also to be used in a thousand different ways within the pastoral work of the church, the caring and building up of all its members. Again, there is much that I could say here, but little space. Suffice it to note that the individual world-views and God-views of Christians, as much as anybody else, need to be constantly adjusted and straightened out in the light of the story which is told in scripture. But this is not to say that there is one, or even that there are twenty-one, ‘right’ ways of this being done. To be sure, the regular use of scripture in private and public worship is a regular medicine for many of the ills that beset us. But there are many methods of meditation, of imaginative reading, ways of soaking oneself in a book or a text, ways of allowing the story to become one’s own story in all sorts of intimate ways, that can with profit be recommended by a pastor, or engaged in within the context of pastoral ministry itself. Here, too, we discover the authority of the Bible at work: God’s own authority, exercised not to give true information about wholeness but to give wholeness itself, by judging and remaking the thoughts and intentions, the imaginations and rememberings, of men, women and children. There are worlds to be discovered here of which a good deal of the church remains sadly ignorant. The Bible is the book of personal renewal, the book of tears and laughter, the book through which God resonates with our pain and joy, and enables us to resonate with his pain and joy. This is the really powerful authority of the Bible, to be distinguished from the merely manipulative or the crassly confrontational ‘use’ of scripture.

NT Wright

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I just wonder how many in our churches today and on this board have more of a relationship with a book than with its author? I don't ask that as a slam on anyone in particular...I ask it in sincere concern, because honestly that is where I've been myself. I'd relate to God through second and third hand accounts but rarely if ever engage Him personally.

It's the difference between knowing God loves you just because the Bible "tells me so," and knowing it because you hear Him tell you so. While the former is valuable indeed it pales in comparison to the intimacy of the latter.

4. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

So you're calling into question the salvation of those on the BB?

No matter how you word it, it's still a slam, and not sincere concern, and that no matter that you attempt to tie this to yourself to soften it.

No need to call into question if those on the BB have a true relationship with God.

If a DoG/Reformed/Calvinist brother wrote what you just wrote here, infractions, tickets and more would result.

5. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Jesus is the Saviour, but IF we have a "less than orthodox" view on His word, how can we grow in wisdom and knowledge and maturity in him?

NOT SAYING YOUR VIEWS ARE UNORTHODOX! general statement

6. Skandelon

I recently read Francis Chan's books "Crazy Love" where he talked about the four different soils that Jesus teaches about in scripture. He challenges the reader with this statement, "Don't assume you are the good soil."

I didn't take that as his attempt to question my salvation, but instead took it as a sincere challenge from a fellow brother for me to examine myself, test myself (as Paul commanded) to see if I'm in the faith.

There is a stark difference in that general biblical challenge for everyone to consider (even the one presenting the challenge), and a personal attack on a particular individual. Those who can't see the difference may need to attempt to view such comments from another perspective without reading a negative intent into the statement.

7. quantumfaith

You sir are UNBELIEVABLE in your responses, simply unbelievable...shakes head

8. quantumfaith

Very powerful and prudent words of sage wisdom

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :tonofbricks:

He did it. I see it, but I don't believe it. He actually gave a straightforward, unambiguous response. Everyone bookmark this page.:type:

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, God expects us to regard Paul's judgment as if it were a verbatim from Christ—as if Christ Himself had said one is not bound to a marriage if he is deserted by an unbelieving spouse.

So, God expects us to regard Paul's instructions, concessions, opinions or whatever as if they were His words, and you still would not call it the Word of God?

#110 Aaron, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He conveniently does not reply to Aaron and Iconoclast when they do this in a straightforward manner...yet will falsely accuse someon like Skan.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And in only 27 words at that. :applause:

13. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you considered he may be simply mocking you guys? :sleeping_2:

15. quantumfaith

Well silly me, I was under the impression he relished in telling us all that he knows and how little anyone (not of his flavor) knows.

16. Skandelon

As I stated in my very first post on this subject. I don't have any problem with people referring to the bible as "God's Words" because I know what they mean. They typically mean that the bible is divinely inspired, God-breathed.

However, when pressed by JF regarding whether it "contains" or "is" God's word I gave further explanation as to the distinction between words spoken by God and words inspired by God to be written in scripture. For example...

"Cast yourself down and angles will attend to you." -Satan
    "Don't test the Lord your God." - God

Both of these phrases were inspired by God and thus contained in scripture. But God never uttered the words, "Cast yourself down..." Satan did. The scriptures recorded that encounter in a reliable and authoritative manner--by divine inspiration. But clearly anyone can see the difference in the literal Words of God and those words inspired by God to reliably reveal what someone else did or said, right?

#116 Skandelon, Aug 18, 2011
  17. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Important

So our weaker brother and sister who can't live with someone constantly destroying their relationship with God through Jesus Christ or hurting their children or them. They should stay with this unbelieving spouse, because their unbelieving spouse still want to live with them?

What is more important than anything is to love God and in this loving God to love others as yourself without taking away your love for God is more important that is why Paul said I not the Lord.

When you love your fellow man you have fulfilled the Law.

If I have the faith to move mountains and have not love I am worthless.

#117 psalms109:31, Aug 18, 2011
  18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So webdog.
    If skan does what I do it is okay....but when i call into question,or post a quote that asks for self examination you whine and cry ...how you are going to report the post or try to censor everyone who does not agree with you.
    You spend more than half your posts as a troublemaker, trying to accuse everyone else. Then you attempt to present yourself as pristine in your conduct.....interesting:(

The other day I offer you a sermon from one of the godliest men alive, and you brush it off with.....I did not read it because it probably agreed with your view?? what do you think...I am going to offer something I think to be error. You act as if it was a surprise
    Webdog.....are you here to interact and learn, or just look for things to complain about, and maybe report...
    are you the BB police?

#118 Iconoclast, Aug 18, 2011
  19. preacher4truth

Yes, if you do what they do, they'll report it while overlooking the same offense of one within their own camp.

20. preacher4truth

You're talking double here, saying the books question wasn't taken as questioning your salvation, which in turn is exactly what it did as you did question your salvation by the suggested thought. So oppostite of your "but instead" as you say above, you actually did question your salvation.

But of course, you always get and desire a pass for yourself to say such things, and excuse them away as allowable, since it's from, you know, you. :thumbsup:

Perhaps practice what you preach and extend the same grace to others as you allow to yourself?

#120 preacher4truth, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.