1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Samuel 10:27

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At Friday night's Bible Study/Fellowship Meeting I found something interesting . I had brought along my NLTse because of its handy size . Also , it clips along at a breezy pace with greater clarity than the ESV/NASB . I discovered that the NLTse includes a fairly long section with this passage which other versions do not carry . It is bracketed , but still ...

But there were some scoundrels who complained , "How can this man save us ?" And they scorned him and refused to bring him gifts . But Saul ignored them .
    [ Nahash , king of the Ammonites , had been grievously oppressing the people of Gad and Reuben who lived east of the Jordon River . He gouged out the right eye of each of the Israelites living there , and he didn't allow anyone to come and rescue them . In fact , of all the Israelites east of the Jordon , there wasn't a single one whose right eye Nahash had not gouged out . But there were 7,000 men who had escaped from the Ammonites , and they had settled in Jabesh-gilead .]

Footnote : This paragraph , which is not included in the Masorretic Text , is found in the Dead Sea Scroll 4QSam.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Is there any other historical document that confirms so many Israelites were depth-perception-challenged?

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    - Josephus, Antiquities of the Jews, 6.5.1

The NRSV also includes the same passage that is in the NLTse.

#3 rsr, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I just read the quote from Josephus.

2. Get this too from NET: "In place of the MT (“and it was like one being silent”) the LXX has “after about a month,” taking the expression with the first part of the following chapter rather than with 10:27. Some Hebrew support for this reading appears in the corrected hand of a Qumran ms of Samuel, which has here “about a month.” However, it seems best to stay with the MT here even though it is difficult."

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Very interesting! Thank you!