1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Samuel, Jonathan and David

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

This year, for the very first time ever, I have decided to really figure out what I believe, so I decided to read the bible all the way through.

I finally got to 1 Samuel, and I have to tell, that just by reading this story on a shallow level, I would think that Jonathan and David are gay.

I mean.. their soul was knit together. Their love for eachother surpassed women..

what does all of this mean?

I went into Yahoo, and typed Jonathan and David in, and everything is pro-gay Christians.

Im pretty confused.
    Can anyone help to assure me that I am reading this incorrectly?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You can't read a 3000 year old text in a Western context.

David is seen to have multiple wives in the Bible. The biography given David holds nothing back on his flaws foibles and failures in matters relating to relationships and sex.

But it never shows that he had sex with any man.

Yet the Bible DOES mention this as taking place - in Soddom and Gomorrah - with God wiping them off the map.

Then in Lev 18 we see that God promised to wipe out the pagan nations for this sin AND that He promised to wipe out Israel for this sin IF they too practiced it.

Notice that God did NOT say He would wipe out Israel if they had multiple wives in Lev 18 - as David did.

Basically when David committed gross sins - God called him on it.

The bond between David and Jonathan is not unlike what we see today between soldiers fighting in the same unit together - saving each other's life and forming close bonds in brotherhood - bonds for which they would gladly risk their life to preserve. And 'yet' they typically have no desire to "have relations" with each other because of this.

In Christ,

Bob

3. atestring

atestring New Member

What is wrong with male bonding? This has nothing to do with being gay!!!

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course everything on the Net is going to imply that Jonathan and David were gay. It is a secular world.

It is a tragic day when we see that godly male friendship and love perverted to mean that these two men were gay.

I have male friends whom I love deeply. Other than my wife these I love some of these men more than anyone else alive.

The meaning of the love that "surpassed women" to me indicates,if anything, that they were NOT gay because the love surpassed the kind love which includes sex.

5. faithcontender

faithcontender New Member

"There is a friend that sticketh like a brother"

This was what happened between David and Jonathan nothing less nothing more. The gay relationship is different from what happened between them.

6. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I just think the culture was different back then as compared to now a days. I don't know if that makes since but what we may see as "weird" here in America may seem natural in other countries. Like in John 13:23......But it would be nice for everyone to have close friendships like that today, without being concidered gay. [​IMG] BTW why couldn't this also include brother & sister relationships too? (i.e.)Like Deborah and Barak (Judges ch. 4-5)?

Music4Him

7. Emily

Emily New Member

Well, I can assure you, that I was hoping that that is what it meant.

It just read kind of peculiar... that is all.

8. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Other cultures often strike us as peculiar from time to time. I think it is peculiar to expect a brother to marry his brother's widow, even if he is already married to someone else!