1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 1 Thes 5:22 Interpretation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If I knew that my pastor had left a woman stranded alone on the side of the road, I would lose all respect for him.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, behold and verily verily to you too.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Amy, you have more common sense than the rest combined. This thread sounds like the Pharisees condemning the disciples and Jesus for gathering food on the Sabbath.

This is all that Bob Jones was, a Pharisee, no substance. A man with a beard is not evil. Dancing is not evil. Christ said if you love Me you will obey My commands. He did not say make up new ones, memorize them, and obey them through your own power.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

That's your answer? What if you live a seedy part of a big city with shady businesses everywhere...should you never walk outside unless you are with a friend?

What about movie theatres? Can you go, or might someone think you are seeing one of the bad movies?

It's Impossible to live this way...My former pastor believed it was a sin for women to wear pants...should all women wear skirts to obey this verse?

KJV says "ALL" (All means all, remember...)

But you just said in another thread...
    -I do not agree that we are unable to obey.
    -Men can obey God's word, they choose to disobey.

So should we obey this verse... or just try hard to obey it If Possible...and if it appears to someone that we have sinned, when in fact we haven't...have we in fact "chosen to disobey."?

The predominant translation of this verse makes the matter much more simple: Avoid every form (kind) of evil. If there is an evil that I don't avoid, but partake in, I have sinned knowingly...I don't have to worry about avoiding everything that might possibly look like a sin, or be wrongly considered a sin by someone else.

BTW, in this case, In America, where we are not living in refugee camps with 20-30 people packed into a 1-room building, and without knowing all of the circumstances of Evang.'s situation...I would also advise Evan. to move out, for the sake of the honor and reputation of his fiance. But there may be some other circumstances He has not shared.

#24 12strings, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2013