1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Tim 3:14-15

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by manchester, Nov 17, 2004.

1. manchester

manchester New Member

The typical scriptural support for sola scriptura (Bible only) is 2 Tim 3:17.

What about 1 Tim 3:14-15? "Although I hope to come to you soon, I am writing you these instructions so that, if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth."

This tells me that there are two ways for Christians to learn to be Christians ("conduct themselves in church"): (a) direct instruction from the apostles and (b) reading the scriptures. The first is preferable, but not realistic for us.

Roman Catholics look at the part that says "the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" to mean that you look to the Church to find truth. If you read the verses in context, Paul is clearly rejecting the idea of following the sinful examples of the churchmen. (That's what the epistles are all about - the apostles reprimanding the churchmen for teaching error and sin.)

1) What is referred to as the "pillar and foundation of the truth" - is it "the church" or "the living God"?

2) If it is the church, does that have any effect on our theology?

2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1) It's clearly the church, with the proviso (or even get out clause!) that it do be the church of the living God.

2) Define 'church'...

Yours in Christ

Matt