1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1 Timothy 2:1-6 Another all?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by padredurand, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Southern

Southern New Member

Padre,
    I took your post as a positive agreement. Correct me if I am wrong. I took it to mean that we both preach the Gospel to every creature because we do not know who the elect are. We just differ on "why" they come.

P.S. Please do pray for me during my finals!!!

Thanks and May God bless you Padre!

2. rc

rc New Member

Ray,
    You keep on pulling those emotional heart strings brother... The poor, despterate, pleading, weak, begger God that can't has to cry and try to peruade men because He has no power over them because He is not a perfect mediator, but a mediator that fails... over and over again. The almighty sovereign will of man! How will Jesus ever get all of man kind to bow every knee and confess He is God at the end when He can't do it now?

Post Tenabrax Lux

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Brother James,

Your statement
    ;

This is the standard mantra that you have been taught and is textbook Calvinism. The question remains is it the truth; is it the intent coming from the heart of God?

If you have time read Genesis 25:20 and forward and you will see there is no election of Jacob and reprobation for Esau coming from the words of the Lord. Our Lord was electing two unique nations and the elder brother would serve the younger, especially noted in verse twenty-three. Jacob’s lineage would produce the Son of Promise, even our Lord God. Esau would beg Isaac for regaining his status within the family but God through Isaac refused this tearful try on behalf of Esau.

In Hebrews 12:16 Esau, a careless son of Isaac, sold off his birthright. [vs. c] After this fatal mistake on the human side, it yet proved providentially planned by God. The next verse points out his repentance and tears over the loss of so weighty a matter as handing over his families legal, authority to Jacob. This was all the elective plan of Almighty God.

King David committed murder and repeated acts of adultery and was forgiven, and still God calls him ‘the man after My own heart.’ Esau was flawed as was nearly all the heroes of faith under the former covenant, but he turned out to be a man of grace because he returned to re-unite with his younger brother who betrayed him year prior. The deceiver/Jacob never tried to make things right between his brother and on various occasions proved himself and to us also, his own departure from God’s highest by committing sins.

Brother Ray

4. Southern

Southern New Member

Ray,

Could you please explain John 6:37 that says "All that the Father gives to Me will come to Me"? The giving results in our coming and not vice versa.

In Christ

5. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Look Ray, I don't know what you are pulling with this but it don't wash! Maybe our legs? Are you having us on or something?
    You wrote.
    The deceiver/Jacob never tried to make things right between his brother and on various occasions proved himself and to us also, his own departure from God’s highest by committing sins.
    You wrote.
    Esau was flawed as was nearly all the heroes of faith under the former covenant, but he turned out to be a man of grace because he returned to re-unite with his younger brother who betrayed him year prior.

Brilliant. You have turned our mantra into weeping. Do you think you can rewrite the scriptures and be taken seriously?

What is that but Esau I loved, but Jacob I hated?

That is because we are right. It is not dependant on what a man says or does but it is God that chooses.
    Peter was just the same as Judas. They both betrayed Jesus. Neither asked for forgiveness. It was Jesus that went to Peter and cleansed him.

johnp.

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Rc,

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

When time is over for every lost human being, God's judgment and evaluation will take place in their lives. And for those who refused the Lord Jesus, will be forced to bow before Him. [Isaiah 45:23; Romans 14:11; and Philippians 2:10-11]

Here is the sovereign Almighty God who will be absolutely fair in His judgment.

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Jesus died and made a blood atonement for every sinner. [I John 2:2]

Those who savingly believe in Jesus are washed in His blood. Those who refuse Christ are not immersed in His precious blood.

Nothing is lost to God if sinners reject Him. The sinner takes the loss which leads to Hell. God does not lose any grace or blood, if you will, because of Christ rejecters.

God is not harmed or diminished because the sinner's atonement was avoided. This is what makes unbelief so terrible and unthinkable.

God is transcendent and remains the same no matter what human persons do for or against Him. 'Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today and forever.' [Hebrews 13:8]

9. rc

rc New Member

10. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 2:9-11
    For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say there is power in His name. Doesn't sound like
    Is that a general assumption made whenever someone disagrees with our dear Mr. Calvin or did you run out of a reasoned apology? I don't see where Ray made such an assertion; quite the opposite if you read his references (Phil 2:9-11 above, etc.). If Ray didn't infer a poor, desperate, pleading, weak, beggar God; where does this come from?

11. johnp.

johnp. New Member

No Ray, deal with Eli's sons!

1 Sam 3:14 Therefore, I swore to the house of Eli, `The guilt of Eli's house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.' "

johnp.

12. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't limit yourself to Eli's sons. "Why do you, Eli, kick at my sacrifice and offerings?" Why do you, Eli, honor your sons - who are sleeping with the women who serve at the doorway and getting fat off the best the people gave to ME - why do you honor them Eli? Why, Eli, does your household walk away from me when I declared they should walk before Me? Why, Eli, do you despise Me?

How could the elect become reprobate? How could they resist God's favor? How could they lose their salvation?

1. The judgment is for Eli and his house. If we conclude that this judgment refers to all the reprobate (non-elect) than we must reject the notion that God's election is unconditional. God retracted His favor for cause - the sins of Eli's sons and Eli's failure to react. God established conditions - their faithfulness - to their continued favor.

2. How could those called of God resist Him? "I did indeed say that your house and the house of your father should walk before Me forever." Eli and his sons resisted God. If they did not, they would have continued to faithfully serve.

3. How could those called by God then be rejected by Him?

johnp, have a spot of tea and think about this. God's dealings with Eli and his house seem rather Arminian to me. Okay, Ray, your turn.

13. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did God hate Esau?

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

That would be a contradiction for all of us.

That is not to the point. The point is that it has been said that Jesus atoned for all sin. This case proves that belief wrong does it not?

No sugar thanks.

I'll get back to you on the rest of this after your reply to the above.

johnp.

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Because.

johnp.

16. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How could any human action diminish the Cross? Human action, as in this case, determines whether you go to the wedding feast or not, doesn't it? It has nothing to do whether there will be one.

How do we reconcile God's declaration that Eli and his house were called to walk before the Lord yet they were known as:
    No sugar? Blah.

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because.

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]For cause or just because?

18. johnp.

johnp. New Member

They cannot.

Yes or no?

johnp.

19. johnp.

johnp. New Member

padredurand.

just b.

johnp.

20. johnp.

johnp. New Member

padredurand.

I shall not bandy words with you over sugar. It is heresy to sweeten tea.

He did though didn't He?

The answer resides in the will of God.

Eph 1:4-5 (Amended) ...In love 5 he predestined me to be adopted as his son through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will

Eph 1:6 (Amended) to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given me in the One he loves.

That grace He gave me saved me. Loved.

That grace He did not give Esau. Hated

Only, Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace

Only in Him have we the forgiveness of sins.
    And He Eph 1:8 ...lavished [that] on us with all wisdom and understanding.

That's all I know. The why's are in His will.

johnp.