1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

10 Commandments gone??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mima, May 15, 2006.

1. mima

mima New Member

After reading Colossians 2:14 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross"; and Ephesians 2:15. Do you still believe the 10 Commandments are in effect today??

2. Seth&Mattsmom

Seth&Mattsmom New Member

I thought that this referred to all the rules and regulations like the ones in Leviticus and Numbers. Not the 10 commandments.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only are they in effect today, but they are still God's commandments. He hasn't changed His mind on who He is and how we are to respond to Him and each other.

4. mima

mima New Member

"Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace";
    This statement made in Ephesians 2:15 seems to speak to the commandments given to Moses. Notice also that Colossians 2:14 speaks of ordinances which were handwritten. Were all the customs and ceremonial rules handwritten? And where they called Commandments? Notice also that these handwritten commandments were contrary to us. What does that mean? Could it possibly be talking about the commandment that were impossible for a man to keep namely the 10 Commandments. Only Jesus has perfectly kept the 10 Commandments. So I the 10 Commandments are contrary to the rest of mankind. But praise his Holy name he kept them(fulfilled them) for you and me.

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

According to Scarlett O.......

Several questions for Christians concerning the Ten Commandments:

1. What is their purpose today?

2. Assuming that their purpose is obedience, what happens if we violate one of them? Two?

3. Since there are no commandments greater than those in Mark 12:28-31, are we unnecessarily burdening Believers with fears about violating the Ten?

and..... in closing..... How many of us keep the TWO Commandments, 24/7/365?

[ May 16, 2006, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: genesis12 ]

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Good luck Ladies [​IMG]

7. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Matthew 5 -

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

So Jesus either expects his followers to not only obey the law but to do much more. Why is it that many Chrsitians today love to throw out the law and most of the OT and say all is fulfilled and we are not under the law but under grace. But I say being under grace expects (can I say requires) more out of us and as Jesus said we should be as the Pharisees (but without the hyprocrisy).

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Christians are to have Faith in Jesus and keep the 10 Commandments!

Rev 14:12 "Here is the patience of the Saints; here are those who keep the Commandments of God and the faith of Jesus".

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A NT Christians lives by NT instructions. Most of what are referred as the "Ten Commandments" are therein included, but not all.

Okay, if there was ever a time when His people were to destroy their enemies-- men, women, children, animals-- then that time is now, also, since "He hasn't changed His mind on who He is and how we are to respond to Him and each other." Very well, have you done that?

10. mima

mima New Member

Alcott: please refrain from giving arguments which totally defeat the opposition, this makes everybody uncomfortable you must leave a little wiggling room. I love to refer to this type of arguments you have given as chop chop into a debate.

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    CHOP..............CHOP

12. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Speaking of which, the commandments were writeen by GOD's hand anyway. So I don't think he's changed his mind on enforcing them...I'd add a written in stone pun here but I can't think of a good way to do so....

13. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I guess I can only repeat my earlier questions from 16 May, 2006 17:51. I haven't seen a specific response.
    [​IMG]

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

</font>[/QUOTE]The purpose of the 10 commandments today is to serve as a foundation for our moral law and codes, to keep us reminded that God is Holy, to keep us reminded that we are sinners to the core, to teach us how to revere God and to respect ourselves and others, for teaching others, especially children, about holy living........etc.

We have ALL broken ALL of the 10 commandments. They are not separate and distinct little "cafeteria" rules, where you can say, "Well, I have told a lie, but at least I haven't murdered anyone".

If you have broken one, then you have broken them all. The entire spirit of it.

Jesus took the 10 commandments and made them extremely personal. He said that if you hated someone, you had murdered them. And that if you just toyed with idea of what being with someone else's spouse was like then you had committed adultry.

We are ALL lawbreakers. There is no "choosing" of which ones you have or haven't broken. God's moral code is comprehensive, not sitting around in little pieces for us to choose or not choose.

There is no need to fear breaking God's laws. As I said, we have already done so!

This is not about do's and don'ts. This is about having a holy, moral nature. God says for us to be holy as He is holy. The Ten Commandments are part of the foundation for that holy lifestyle.

Jesus fulfilled it all by saying that there is no greater commandment than to love God with all your heart, soul, mind,and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself, but just because there are no greater commandment than this does not mean that there no OTHER commandments at all.

It just means that those two greatest commandments that Jesus gave umbrella all of the others.

We don't keep the 10, because we can't keep those 2.

But just because the 2 are the greater, does not mean that the 10 are to be dismissed.

They can't be dismissed. The 10 are encompassed in the 2.

15. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Thanks for your response.

16. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

As I see it...in the dispensation of Grace that we currently reside in,the only RIGHTEOUSNESS that God expects us to live by is the kind that is attained BY FAITH...and faith alone...and that ,dear people comes ONLY by the presence of the Holy Spirit of God within us.It is the righteousness of the Lord Jesus Christ HIMSELF that He imparts to us by FAITH.WE CANNOT LIVE THE LAW...Jesus Christ Himself was the only One who EVER was able to live it perfectly and that is why He was the only FIT SACRIFICE for our sin....Praise God!!!!! We should live soberly,righteously and godly in this present world....but we are to do it by FAITH in the finished work of Christ at Calvary.Bless Ya'll!!!

Greg Sr.

17. mima

mima New Member

Many insightful responses here, however I see no mention of the fact that we are living under a different covenant than the one in which the 10 Commandments were written in.

18. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

2. Assuming that their purpose is obedience, what happens if we violate one of them? Two?

3. Since there are no commandments greater than those in Mark 12:28-31, are we unnecessarily burdening Believers with fears about violating the Ten?

and..... in closing..... How many of us keep the TWO Commandments, 24/7/365?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Jhn 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.