1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

10 greatest point guards of all time

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by 4His_glory, May 11, 2006.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Is that the right link?

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

4. PastorSBC1303

I would say the list is pretty good. I think Magic and Oscar are clearly the top 2 and then everyone else somewhere after. I might put Walt Frazier a little higher.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think Magic was definetly the best point guard ever. Though I did not like the Lakers, I did enjoy watching him play. I remember as a kid going to a Pistons game with friends and watching them play against Magic and the Lakers... some great matchups in those days.

I thought the list was good too. I was glad to see Isaiah Thomas included. He was my favorite player while growing up.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's not forget Dick Barnett, Hal Greer's running mate for several years.

Cousy knew how to win ball games, as Magic and Isiah did. So did Jerry West.

Nowadays, many teams are getting away from strictly point guards, with their multi-talented players. LeBron James, for example, can play any position.

However, the talented not-so-big men will always have a place in winning basketball.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I have no problem with the rankings but I wonder if Tim Hardaway would not have been a better pick than the Glove? 8.2 and 17.7 is his life time averages but most know after his knee injury in 96 he lost his cross over and alot of his ability to penetrate.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Check out the votes at the bottom. Someone put I. Thomas as their 9th best and another as their 8th best. That's pretty lame. He's definitely in the top 5.

9. PastorSBC1303

I think Isaiah is clearly in the top 5.

Tim Hardaway might be a good one too. But I would probably put Payton ahead of him slightly.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Overall, a pretty fair bunch of pro point guards, I'd say, And I have to agree that the best 'players' of them are probably "O" and "magic', simply because both could play any position. Two I was surprised not to see on the list in any spot, through the first twenty or so are Dennis Johnson and K.C.Jones. I'm also surprised at the position of so low for Jerry West, and any votes for Scotty Pippen at point guard. At Small forward? Definitely he rates as one of the best; Point guard? No! Not an accurate spot for him.

Ed

11. PastorSBC1303

Scotty actually played a lot of point guard for the Bulls during their run from the SF position. They ran a lot of their offense from him bringing the ball up the court and staying at the top of the key.

He does not deserve any votes in this poll, but when he played there he was pretty darn good.

Also when they really wanted to put the clamps down on D they would put Pippen on the opposing team PG and he gave them fits. He was quick enough to hang with them, and those long arms blocked most of the passing lanes.

He was a great compliment to MJ. Gee, do you think Seattle ever regretted trading Pippen on draft day to the Bulls for Olyden Polenice?? (sp?) [​IMG]

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Scotty actually played a lot of point guard for the Bulls during their run from the SF position. They ran a lot of their offense from him bringing the ball up the court and staying at the top of the key.

He does not deserve any votes in this poll, but when he played there he was pretty darn good.

Also when they really wanted to put the clamps down on D they would put Pippen on the opposing team PG and he gave them fits. He was quick enough to hang with them, and those long arms blocked most of the passing lanes.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'd consider that as more of a 'point forward' quasi-position. Several have done that very well, over the years. Dr. J.; 'Hondo' Havlicek; 'Cornbread' Maxwell; Jamaal Mashburn; are four who were not nominally point guards who could and did do this at times. So can Tim Duncan, although he seldom does it. MJ and could and did do this with the best of any age, including probably better than most of the PGs on the list, as a "two", as well. Tayshaun Prince is an up and 'rising' star at this, as a 'three' as was A.C. Green fairly competent at this, as well.

Ed

13. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Ed,

I am pretty sure that Ron Harper was the Bulls PG during their last playoff years. But in the triangle Jordan and Pippen surely had the ball more than anyone else and rightfully so.

14. PastorSBC1303

Ron Harper was listed as their official PG during the last few championships. However, reality was that Harper was not really a PG. Jordan and moreso Pippen ran the point on the offense.

15. Timtoolman

Timtoolman New Member

I use too like watching John Stocken. He was like a reliabe work horse. Always there, steady, consistant. I use to compare him and Jordon bringing the ball down the court. JOhn would get beat half too death bringing the ball down. NOw if you breathed on JOrdon he was going too the line. I sometimes wonder if JOrdon would have been as good without the guys in zebra outfits too help him out. Not saying he wasn't a good player or the best but he spent a lot of time on the line.

16. PastorSBC1303

All the great ones got to the free throw line a lot.

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Obviously, in a couple of instances, notably Shaq and 'The Dipper', practice does not here necessarily always make perfect.

Although Chamberlain actually holds the record for both free throw attempts in a game at 34, and held the record for free throws made for 22 years at 28 until tied by Adrain Dantley. This last info is dated by a year or so, so it's possible that these two records are no longer held, but I don't think that to be the case.

Ed

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

After thinking about it, wouldn't AI and Clyde Drexler also be considered as point guards? Interesting (and undeserved) that neither apparently got a single vote for the position. And I'm not a great AI fan, but ability is ability, and he has a small amount of that, I'd say.

Ed

19. PastorSBC1303

I don't think Clyde Drexler should be considered as a PG.

AI should be.

20. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Keep in mind that when the big O and Cousy played if the one they passed to dribbled the ball they didn't get an assist and today they do. How many more assist would they have had?
    I believe they wqere the best, even though back then you were just called a guard, not a point guard.