1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

10 Reasons Why Calvinites Are Calvinites

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Mark Osgatharp, Oct 27, 2005.

1. King James Bond

King James Bond New Member

Ray,

Free-will is it? You just keep on dreaming ok?

First of all I do not at this time claim that people have no will. Nor have I ever claimed that people have no will.

I will claim it is not free though.

It is the "free" you put in front of the word will that makes it incorrect.

You see....."free" modifies the word "will".

It is just the same as the word "works" can be modified by other words....

good "works", bad "works", no "works, many "works", few "works".

Do you see how placing a word in front of a word modifies it? Do you see how that "works"?

One more thing as an anwser to your entire post;

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

KJB

2. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

King James Bond,

It felt like I was in English class.

The 'whosoever' in John 3:16 does not indicate a 'bondage of the will' for the non-elect. God's call is to all sinners and is therefore, a freedom of the will to either receive the Son or to reject that offer of grace.

Context, my friend . . . .

Your bold print is taken from Ephesians 2:8-10.

Christians are only His workmanship after we receive Jesus into our lives.

Grace is the gift---and faith is the sinner's response to the Gift of Himself after they have been convinced and convicted that they are sinners and in need of Christ.

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Ray.

Would you have a crack at this for me please?

Question:
    "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
    Answer:
    "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."
    Conclusion:
    Faith is a work.

It is taken from John 6:28-29. It seems that faith is a work but this is being denied by those who have faith originating in them such as your good self. Can you confirm that faith is a work please or can you confirm me wrong?

I thank you in advance.

john.

4. King James Bond

English lessons huh?

Very wrong is Ray.

Ray is very wrong.

How was that? lol

Faith is a gift that God gives by His grace.

Salvation is by His grace.

That means salvation is favor that He bestows on someone without one solitary thing in or of the person to merit His favor of saving them.

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from youselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do " (Eph. 2:8,9).

Grace saves......it is through faith. Grace (unmerited favor) saves.

We already know the grace of God is not from ourselves because it is God's grace. It is clarified that the faith is not from ourselves but rather a gift of God.

" he [God] purified their hearts by faith. . . .We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved . . . "(Acts 15:9, 11).

" As for you [believers], you were DEAD in your transgressions and sins [before you became believers], in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air [Satan], the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. . . .We were by nature objects of [God's] wrath. But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in Mercy, MADE US ALIVE with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved " (Ephesians 2:1-5).

For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake

Faith is a grant from God that He gives to people all as He wills and it is by grace (unmerited favor).

KJB

5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do people have to focus so much on using this metaphor alone to derive a systematic theology?

Would you say that this is a command (in the form of a rhetorical question)? Here Paul says that we are "dead to sin", yet he has to tell us not to continue living in it so that "grace may abound." If it were not possible to "continue in sin" why would Paul have to tell the Romans not to do such, since they were "dead to sin"?
    He also uses the word "live" to describe the same condition that we are "dead" to.

6. King James Bond

AresMan,

But because of his great love for us, God who is rich in Mercy, MADE US ALIVE with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions--it is by grace you have been saved

That text is speaking of the dead being made alive.

The text you post is speaking of those alive living properly.

KJB

7. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

johnp.

You said, 'Would you have a crack at this for me please?'