12 step

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by spiersdodgerblue, Feb 7, 2008.

1. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue
    Expand Collapse

To those that have lead a 12 step Celebrate Recovery study.

As a leader in this ministry and one that has gone through the 12 steps myself, it is my turn to step up and lead. I have never lead a bible study with out my husband. And of course he can not do this for me cause it's all women.:BangHead: Tonight was the first night, it was mainly intro to the study and laying out the ground rules. But just to think about next week makes me ill. I have been a Christian for 8 years and my co leader only 4. My husband is a deacon, I seem to do well in this ministry and in other ministry's as well but there is something about leading a group with so many people with what we call "hurts, hangup and habits, just makes me nerves. I don't want to mess this up. I know our God is in charge and in control. I feel so unequipped. Maybe I'm thinking to much about it.

Any advice in leading this type of 12 step group would be greatly appreciated.

In Christ
    Annette

2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher
    Expand Collapse

Annette,

Don't make it harder than it is. Remember, even as the leader of the group, you're not there to fix anyone. All you do is lead the group - keep it focused and following the rules.

And I've found this from my own life - God's not really interested in having me do a lot of stuff that's easy for me. The most amazing times of my life are when He's using me in areas I have little to no experience in or areas that don't come easy for me. Sounds like God's about to use you in a new and incredible way. Trust the one who has called you to this place, hang on to Him tightly, and enjoy the ride!

3. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue
    Expand Collapse

Thank you preacher, I know your right. I'm one that really struggles with being stretched at times and I must get over this one. I will lean on Him in prayer.
    And I know and agree I am not there to try and fix anyone.

Thanks for your leading.
    Annette

4. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher
    Expand Collapse

Be sure to come back and post how it goes. I'll be praying for you and the group.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

You will grow a lot by leading, more than you will ever know.

It is okay to "mess up" ---- just be able to regroup and go on.

Don't be hard on yourself.

6. spiersdodgerblue

spiersdodgerblue
    Expand Collapse

I am encouraged, thank you both!:godisgood: I will come back and tell how it's going.

#6 spiersdodgerblue, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2008