1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

14 Days and Counting

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Tom Bryant, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only 14 more before pitchers and catchers report for Spring training!!!

Once the football preseason is over, we can get into the real sport - BASEBALL!

GO YANKEES!

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, and it looks like Johann Santana is out of the AL Central and out of the American League!!! Now the Tigers will only have to worry if the Mets make the World Series.

3. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Andy,

Didn't the Tigers beat Santana like a drum last year?

Also, how concerned are you about Dontrelle Willis and his 5+ ERA pitching to teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Indians on a regular basis?

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I am a Rangers fan so spring training carries little hope for me!!!!

The bright side is I never have a problem getting tickets! :thumbs:

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

No, that was the Indians who beat Santana like a drum. The Tigers have faired better than most against him, but it still makes the Twins much less of a threat. They are a sub-.500 team now. The division is solely between the Tigers and Indians. With Santana, the Twins might have had a slight chance; now they are done. My biggest fear was him going to the Red Sox or Yankees. I'm glad to have him in the NL.

Willis' 5.00 ERA was just for one year. It concerns me a little, but I suspect that was an abberration and I think he will do well. He doesn't need to be great - just serviceable. Give me a 4.00 ERA with 200 IP, and he should win 15 easily. He is probably the key to the whole trade. I expect Cabrera will put up big numbers, but we need solid pitching more than anything else.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not even sure that Santana will be that good for the Mets. His last 7 starts last season were pretty average.

I am just thankful he didn't go to the Sox (Red, that is). As much as I hate to admit it, they're sitll the team to beat.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

But the Tigs never had that difficult a time with Johann. I believe they have winning record against them don´t they?

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am a bit concerned with Dontrelle. But then again he was playing for a lousy team. Sometimes when a pitcher crosses leagues he plays better. Also I think that DW will feed off the positive attitude in Detroit.

Plus he should have incredible run support. People like to talk bad about the Tigers, wether it be their age, bullpen, or starting rotation. And though all of those could cause a problem, I think that most of the naysaying comes just because Detroit is Detroit.

9. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I think if their are no major injuries. There is no reason that the pitching will not be solid This starting rotation with the exception of Willis is virtually the same rotation that made it to the WS 2 years ago. And Willis is not a bad addition to an already potentially dominating rotation. I think the bullpen will step up to. Miner needs to show he is a quality pitcher and may do well in the bullpen. I do wish we had a new closer though. Jones does get the job done but he makes me nervous.

With the offense the Tigers could produce this year I would not be surprised to see at least 100 wins and possibly over 1000 runs scored.

What do you think they should do with Inge? I think he would make a good utility player with his athleticism.

Can´t wait for baseball to start back up. Thank God I have the internet to keep me up to date down here.
    GO TIGERS!!!!

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It was just recently reported that Inge is going to report with pitchers and catchers with the distinct possibility of being the back-up catcher, as well as backup 3B, OF or anywhere else he's needed. He'll be a "super-sub" playing 2 or 3 times a week and getting maybe 300 AB's. I love that role for him. And assuming they don't resign Pudge for 2009, he might be the starting catcher at that point. He said in an interview that his priorities were this:

1) Start 3B for the Tigers (he realizes this is not going to happen with Miggy here now).
    2) Start anywhere else with the Tigers (his best chance is at catcher in '09).
    3) Start 3B for another team.
    4) Be a super-sub for the Tigers (but it appears he's willing to do it for this year).

I love Inge as a player - he's been here for the worst of times, and I would love to see him reap the benefits of a World Championship. Maybe as a suber-sub, he can actually be more productive at the plate and not get into those horrible slumps like last year.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, but it makes the Twins a non-contender in the division, and the Red Sox or Yankees didn't land him. This was the best thing for the Tigers and AL in general.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I wouldn't be so quick to count out the Twins. They seem to always find a way to hang around.

I am excited about this year's Cubs team ( I know, I know its the Cubs). But I think the signing of the Japanese guy as well as Jon Lieber to solidify the starting rotation were both good moves. I also like putting Kerry Wood in the closer role. I think they are the best team in the NL Central this year.

13. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Remember, the Twins also lost Torii Hunter. To be a contender in the AL Central (i.e., to keep up with the Tigers and Indians), you better be in the 95-win range. I see the Twins in the 70-80 win range. With Santana, they would be closer to 85. They'll still do some occasional damage (along with their monstrous stadium :)), but they are clearly in a rebuilding phase (no pun intended).

I think the Reds will have something to say about the NL Central, as well as the Brewers. That division is wide open, which makes it a very exciting division to watch.

#13 Andy T., Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
  14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

No argument there, but there's no way Santana pitches that way for an entire season. 2007 was a down year and Santana still finished with a 3.33 ERA and 1.073 WHIP.

Santana's going to have a phenomenal season in the NL.

The Phillies won the division by 1 game and it took a huge choke job by the Mets for that to happen. The Mets are essentially replacing Glavine with Santana. Just for fun, here's the 2007 line for both.

Glavine 13-8, 4.45 ERA, 96 ERA+, 1.413 WHIP (!)
    Santana 15-13, 3.33 ERA, 130 ERA+, 1.073 WHIP (!!)

With a Mets' offense that's clearly superior to the Twins' offense, I see Johan getting 20 wins in 2008. The Mets are a lock to win the NL East.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

If the Twins had kept Santana, and if Liriano gets back to 2006 form, then I would have considered the Twins a contender. Without Santana, there's no chance of them contending for the AL Central.

16. PastorSBC1303

I realize they have lost a lot, however they always seem to find a way to hang around. Strange things happen in baseball. I am not saying the Twins are going to do anything and they very well may finish in the basement of the AL central, but I just would not be so quick to count them out.

[​IMG]

The Reds??? Have they signed any pitching help yet???

I do expect the Brewers to be a good team this year as well.

17. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

It looks like you are discounting the Reds in your division, while I'm doing the same with the Twins in my division. It will be interesting to see who is closer to reality come October 1st.

18. PastorSBC1303

This is true, it will be interesting.

The difference IMO is the Twins have a recent history of success and doing well in spite of not the most talent, etc. The Reds do not have that going for them. But as I said in my own post it is baseball and strange things happen. For all I know the Reds and the Twins may play in the World Series.

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

No, let's hope for a Tigers-Cubs series! It would be the 5th time they have met - and they have split the first 4 times ('07, '08, '35, '45) with the Tigers winning the last two. That's what I wanted in '84, but then Steve Garvey had to go mess it up! That '08 series was the last time the Cubs won it all - it's the 100 year anniversary!

20. PastorSBC1303

You got it, I would love to see this!