1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

15 Bible Verses for Incoming Freshmen

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Sep 3, 2015.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Great advice written for college freshmen by an upper class student.

"I'm going to be honest with you, Freshman year is a weird time. You’re away from your parents, hometown, and old friends, and maybe even in a new state. It can be a very lonely time trying to make new friends and figure out the rest of your life (no pressure). But instead of sitting in your dorm eating ramen noodles, go out and get involved! Find a church and a small group and get plugged in; use your freshman year as a time to grow in faith and to allow yourself to excel in your studies and make pure friendships based on a Christ-like foundation; after all, those are the best friendships."

"One of the most important things to make time for your freshman year is Jesus. Wake up 15 minutes earlier, listen to Christian music, pray, write down your prayer requests, and find bible verses to help motivate you during the week. Go to the bookstore and get a bible study! 15-25 minutes each day is not a lot, and it will be so beneficial to your life and your mental health."

1. Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

"This verse is so great. Its a good one to have hanging on your bathroom mirror or written on your walls. Even if you fail chemistry, God has a plan. Even if you gain the freshman fifteen, God has a plan. And how awesome is it that His plan is always better than ours?"

See the website for the additional 14 verses and commentary -- http://theodysseyonline.com/baylor/15-bible-verses-incoming-college-freshman/140856

Very well written.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I've sent it to my son who starts college on Tuesday. He's doing the Welcome Week thing this week.

3. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Great! Congratulations to you both. Hope he enjoys this.

4. FriendofSpurgeon

Site Supporter

Here is another one that I found. Although some of these refer to a specific university, it really is applicable to all.

Top Ten Words of Wisdom for Freshmen from Alumni

10. Take time to look around at where you are. You did it – you made it to one of the greatest and most beautiful places on earth and it will be wonderful! Hard and trying, but wonderful! Enjoy.

9. God is bigger than any test score or grade that you’ll earn. Your successes and failures will not change His will for you. Remember this during both your accomplishments and shortcomings.

8. Set good boundaries this first semester. You don’t have to go to every function.

7. Keep an eye on the Baylor events calendar; attend the free cultural activities (music, theatre, films) on campus, join a club, plan to study abroad, get to know Waco. You will never have the wealth of affordable and enriching opportunities as you do now!

6. Call your parents every now and then–just for no reason!

5. Divide your cost of tuition by the number of classes you have. Think of it as an “admission fee” per class. That number tends to make you realize how much you will waste by skipping class.

4. Your profs really care about your success, both in the classroom and in life. They are in your corner and not your enemy!!

3. Enjoy it because when you get older, your thoughts will often go back to that time when you were at Baylor.

2. You’ll be facing new choices and freedoms that will turn into challenges! Keep Christ the center of your focus to help direct you with those new choices and freedoms.

1. If you aren’t happy in the major you chose, don’t be afraid to change it! Explore your possibilities, see what’s out there.