1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured $15 fast-food wage?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by RLBosley, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

It's basic math. The lowest level of employment is fast food. No secret. So, we have three things here:

1. If a fast food worker makes as much as a skilled worker, why would anyone want to take the time and debt it takes to become a skilled worker? Just work fast food forever. The economy tanks.

2. Even if employee wages were 50% of the overhead, a 100% raise across the board is a 25% overhead increase. So, an $8 meal now costs $10. My family can only eat out 80% of the time I used to be able to afford. So, sales decrease by 20%. Meaning that the prices have to rise in order to cover the quantity lost, spiraling it into nonexistence.

3. Minimum wage is raised. To compensate, fast food prices are raised. This starts a spiral of everyone's pay being raised, causing severe inflation, as prices essentially double across the board.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and as prices go up, less people eating at Mickeys = then some of the newbies will be laid off

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My daughter has her bachelor's degree in art education (you know how hard it is to get a job as an art teacher right now??) and she is currently subbing until she can find a full time job. With her degree, she's earning $15 an hour ($90 a day for a 6 hour day). So a fast food worker at starting salary should make the same amount as a substitute teacher - who actually is using their education and skills??? That makes no sense. Maybe an entry level manager but an unskilled burger flipper? Really??? I've never made $15 an hour in my life!