1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1599 Geneva Bible in modern spelling

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Logos1560, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to the web site below, a new edition of the 1599 Geneva Bible in modern spelling is being printed by Tolle Lege Press (White Hall, WV).
    This edition is said to feature "word-for-word accuracy with the original 1599 Geneva Bible, original cross references, modern spelling, original study notes by Reformers, old English glossary, and easy-to-read print."
    I have not seen a copy of it yet.

www.1599GenevaBible.com

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I downloaded the PDF file from romans, I like it.

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

This modern language Geneva Bible has been in the works for some time, hasn't it? If I recall correctly I heard it was being worked on a few years ago. Not a bad idea at all! An edition of the original-language Geneva Bible is available at http://www.studylight.org but the language is very much like the language of the Bishops' Bible and the 1611 KJV.

4. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I received a copy of the modern-spelling edition of the 1599 Geneva Bible today. I will be examining it.

5. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Let us know about it...

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an interesting subject.
    A Good Post!

7. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got the hardback edition of the modern-spelling edition of the 1599 Geneva Bible. While the size of its type is small, it is a little larger and more readable than the type in the 1599 facsimile edition of the Geneva Bible I also have. Of course, having the text in modern spelling makes it easier to read. Instead of the marginal notes being on the side of the text as in the facsimile edition, the marginal notes are moved to the bottom of the pages. The marginal notes in this modern-spelling edition are much easier to read than in the facsimile edition.

This edition has a couple introductory articles including one entitled "the History and Impact of the Geneva Bible" by Marshall Foster. At the end, it has a glossary with definitions for some of the archaic words in the text and in the marginal notes in the Geneva Bible.

In one introductory article, it was noted that "we have changed the spelling of the proper names in the Bible to that of the NKJV, since this can greatly help the contemporary reader, and does not compromise the meaning of the original edition" (p. xx). Apostrophes were also added for possessives like were added to the 1611 edition of the KJV.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sounds like a good addition to any Christian library!

9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our ole buddy Steve Z from another board has an online copy of the 1599 GB up. I should like to see one online with its original 1557 NT and/or the complete 1560 version.

10. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few phrases from the 1599 Geneva Bible:

Gen. 1:28 Bring forth fruit, and multiply, and fill the earth

Gen. 2:13b the same compasseth the whole land of Cush

Gen. 25:8 Then Abraham yielded the spirit, and died in a good age, an old man, and of great years, and was gathered to his people.

Exod. 3:22a For every woman shall ask of her neighbor,

Exodus 5:8 Notwithstanding lay upon them the number of brick, which they made in time past, diminish nothing thereof: for they be idle, therefore they cry, saying, Let us go to offer sacrifice unto our God.

Exod. 15:3b his Name is Jehovah

Exod. 23:17 These three times in the year shall all thy men children appear before the Lord Jehovah.

11. Logos1560

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Three New Testament verses from the 1599 Geneva Bible in modern-spelling:

Romans 9:5 Of whom are the fathers, and of whom concerning the flesh, Christ came, who is God over all, blessed forever, Amen.

2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter a servant and an Apostle of Jesus Christ, to you which have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Titus 1:8 But harberous, one that loveth goodness, wise, righteous, holy, temperate