1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1611 European History

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Phillip, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

I would like to see a discussion of 1611 and before (16th century) European history, especially as involved with England and the different churches.

Including, but not limited to the reformation and other situations.

I will help start out because I am reading the book "God's secretaries" which is a history book about the development of the KJV, but emphasizing the characters involved including King James himself. I have only read the first chapter, but will add as I read.

Others?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    King James was a real flake. Have you gotten THAT far in your reading? [​IMG]

It is very sad to have his name on a translation. Or that HE "authorized" it.

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Phillip.

I grew up with the belief that Oliver Cromwell and his Roundheads were a dark and sinister breed whereas the King and his nobles were good, clean and upright. Just shows how the propaganda machine is still running.

I don't know what a 'flake' is Dr Bob.

It is very sad to have his name on a translation. Or that HE "authorized" it.

Church and state were joined in those days. As King he was the only one who could authorise it I think.
    In 1539 the Coverdale bible was the first English bible, authorised by Henry 8th, to be distributed in every church. It was chained to the pulpit and each copy came with a reader so the illiterate could hear it. Thanks to God and his man Cranmer but authorised by Henry.
    Church and state are still joined here. The Queen is 'The Defender of the Faith' if you can believe it. The Archbishops are still appointed by the Government! Prince Charles wants to be known as 'The Defender of the Faiths' when he takes over owing to the multitude of faiths now present in the UK.

I am dead interested in that period and keen to find out more.

johnp.

4. Stratiotes

Stratiotes New Member

The Geneva Bible (mid 16th century) was disliked by James I because the study notes that came with it were decidedly "protestant" in his view. He therefore commissioned the KJV as a substitute. But, in fact, the Geneva Bible was the one the pilgrims favored and brought to the new world.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Bible

5. WallDoctor

WallDoctor New Member

What do the KJV-Only people say about that?

6. Monergist

Monergist New Member

I've heard my pastor recommend James I: The Fool as King by Otto Scott. I've never read it, but here's a link

James I: The Fool as King

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Early 1600's England is a good example of why Theocracy is contrary to religious liberty. If you practiced a religion other than the Church of England, you were branded a second class subject. If ya spoke out agin' Church of England, poof! Jail. If ya used a different bible than the one authorized by the church of England, it was any combination of the aforementioned.