1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured 17 year old gorilla killed at Cincinnati Zoo

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jkdbuck76, May 30, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There's racial polarization in everything. I remember on yahoo back when Michael Vick was found guilty of killing the dogs, a lot of white people were saying kill him. And a lot of black commenters seemed indifferent and was saying it was just dogs and that the sentencing was overboard.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The kid who fell in was black. His parents are black.

So...had they NOT killed the gorilla and the gorilla killed the child, some of the very same BLM types would have cried foul. See, no matter what, the idiots will act like idiots.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The whole thing was a very unfortunate accident. The parents did not intentionally let their child fall in there. If they had their way it would never have happened. Yes, very good and responsible parents do have their children get away from them from time to time. It is never good but neither is it a commentary on the parenting of that child.

The Zoo would not have intentionally allowed a small child to end up where this child did. I am quite sure they take all known precautions. I am also sure they are re-evaluating their situation.

Accidents are just that....accidents. They are always unfortunate and sometimes fatal. Taking sides on this issue is absurd.

Zoos are a good thing and this does not reflect on their legitimacy or their value.

#23 Revmitchell, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zaac, I am surprised that you did not take the tack that they shot the gorilla because he was black. ;)

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

They shot the gorilla because he was a gorilla.:Wink

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gorilla Lives Matter

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We definitely agree on this. It is a series of events that led to a tragedy.

Just my opinion, and it's not because of this event, but we need to rethink zoos. We need to have a conversation about what purposes they serve. We can advocate for smaller animals but what about taking some out of their natural habitats and placing them in a manufactured environment that is contrary to their lives. Also, zoos can serve as animal sanctuaries but why not s larger track of designated land? Attached to this is the existence of places like Sea World where they house massive animals outside their normal habitats.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dunno, Rev. TCassidy is such a good parent this could have never happened to him.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Is that supposed to be funny to some white people now? Take anything, insert the noun and append "Lives Matter"?

And the lot of you are too flippantly stupid to realize that you're reinforcing part of the reason that they say BLM.

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL lives matter, except for the unborn!
    so sayth the culture of today.

11. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relax Zaac. It wasn't intended to be racist. It was an attempt at humor in reply to your post.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I personally do not see that as a need for concern unless the animals are being neglected or abused. In most cases they are well cared for even better than what they might do on their own.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was funny to me. :Whistling

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And you do fit the profile for those who have led them to say BLM.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I didn't say it was racist ky. I was just saying that when people say ALL Lives or anything else as a retort to the BLM crowd saying BLM, it reinforces part of their reason for saying BLM in the first place. Which was them feeling that black lives were marginalized and made to be of less value than other lives by the police and the judicial system. And anytime the reply is All lives matter or anything else, it's seen as an attempt to lessen the value of the black lives, which again is part of the reason they started saying it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. It never did. We took the raising of our children seriously. Losing a child tends to do that to you.

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haven't been following this story. Why is the age of the gorilla significant?

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other than the title of the thread, which comes from the news media, I don't think anyone has mentioned his age.

CNN probably emphasized the age because he was a healthy young adult with a long life ahead of him. Western Lowland Gorillas live well over 50 years in captivity (presently the oldest being 59).

As the Western Lowland Gorilla is listed as critically endangered and several wild animal organizations have begun captive breeding programs a healthy young male is critical to those programs. Killing one of the few left has a tremendous impact on preserving the species.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

TC, you're a good man to have even responded to the intended dig.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just want to add a few things about Harambe. He was my friend. You see, he was born and raised at the Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas by a curator named Jerry Stones. Brownsville is just down the road from where I now live. I love zoos. While still living in San Diego (my wife and I lived there for 32 years) I was a curator level member of the San Diego Zoological Society which owns both the world famous San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Wild Animal Park (now known as the San Diego Zoo Safari Park).

So, naturally, when we moved to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas the first thing I did was find a zoo. I found Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville. I also soon discovered the Primate house, and a then 13 year old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe. He had been born at the Gladys Porter Zoo and been hand raised by Jerry Stones. He was accustomed to human contact. He was very friendly and even affectionate, especially with Jerry.

In April of last year he was moved to the Cincinnati Zoo. As a growing boy in his teens he had grown too big for the Brownsville Zoo's natal center. It was time for him to learn to be a grown up gorilla. Even as a pre-teen and teen he would protect the smaller gorillas from some of their larger siblings and cousins. But was always loving and gentle.

He was moved to Cincinnati because there were two lady gorillas just a couple years older than he was who would help him learn to be a leader, and, hopefully, to father offspring to help reduce the danger of extinction of the Western Lowland Gorilla.

So, there is a personal connection for me. He was a magnificent specimen, and a kind, gentle soul. He deserved better.

jerry.jpg harambe.jpg