1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Benjamin, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My youngest has turned 18 today; an “official” adult he is. My guardianship responsibilities have been "officially" relinquished…and what does all that mean to me personally?...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! …as He’s still one of my children in exactly the same way! I really give the government, the world no credit, whatsoever, to have changed one thing that doesn’t pertain to society's laws. It makes no difference to me, personally, as to my responsibilities. It should make no difference to him in how he behaves. I guess what I‘m saying is that these things are of the world, it gives him some new opportunities to participate in a society that puts numbers to things, but the common view that something has changed in my relationship with him or that he has somehow changed just seems to be bugging me. So in reality it does mean something to me personally, things are viewed differently about our relationship in this world and for some reason I seem to find this offensive. Do you know where I’m coming from?

#1 Benjamin, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I have a short bit of time (think months) before I experience this, but already am thinking similar thoughts.
    Probably because it is true. I have to wonder if this is a phenomenon in the USA...that a person is considered a child one day and an adult the next day, with total parental authority one day and none the next. If they do something good or bad the day before magic 18, the parent gets some of the credit or all of the blame. If they do it the next day, it is fully on the 18 year old.

So yep, that changes things. The government and lots of people see everything different, the kid suddenly has full legal responsibility for his/her life, and they may decide to keep having the same relationship or go ahead and make poor decisions since you no longer have the legal right to step in and guide them in the same ways you may have before.

Kinda scary to think about, especially when looking at a lot of kids and how much more immature they seem to be now than we were at their age. Then again, our parents said the same thing about us. But now I'm getting all off topic...

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know where you're coming from. It's hard to let go. My son is 26 but to me he's still my little boy (with a wife :laugh:). Thankfully, she and I love one another.
    He still comes to me for advice and I'm glad we have that kind of relationship.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

You may think little or nothing has changed since he is 18; but I suspect he thinks somethings have changed. You may find out soooner than you think.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

In 2017 he will be suprised at how much YOU will have learned in these next 5 years! :laugh: