1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1980 was a pivotal year in Fundamentalism

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by John of Japan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, we have some loud resounding "Amens" when Pastor makes a strong point. And yes, he pounds the pulpit. (I can't stand a boring sermon. Keep me awake, please!) But Pastor Chappell is one of the best I have ever heard as far as Bible knowledge and information. We are so fortunate to have him here - He spent most of his life in huge churches in California, but decided to come "home" to the beanfields he grew up on.

Pastor preaches salvation and truth.

Come on out, Windork. Our doors are open as we endeavor to follow the Lord's commands.

2. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

Well, It depends on one's definition of a boring sermon. I've found that most people who say sermons are boring, have this insatiable appetite to be entertained, rather than be taught from the Word of God.

If I wanna be entertained, I'll go the theater, If I wanna Learn from the Bible. I'll go to Church.

Sounds like you've got a good Pastor and a great Church. Cherish them both, deeply. Pray for him always. As there are many, who don't have, what you do.

Blessings,

TheWinDork

3. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yep, if I want a sleepy boring sermon, I will go to a Protestant church :D

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dcorbett , don't you understand that you worship at a Protestant Church ? Of course many are not familiar with Church history so maybe they are unaware of that fact . Are you against Roman Catholic dogma ?

5. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptists are NOT PROTESTANT. We were never part of the mother harlot. Protestant means "to protest and break way" and we couldn't break way from what we never a part of.

http://www.baptistpage.org/Distinctives/Trail_of_Blood.html

is a good place to start to study the history of the Baptists...you will learn a lot.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, we are getting far a field of the original purpose of this thread. It is on its sixth page. So, if y'all are finished chewing on the year of Our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty, I'll just close 'er down. And we can go on to other matters.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As the founder of this here thread, that's fine with me, Squire. [​IMG]

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Reference was made earlier to how things changed after the homegoing of Dr. Rice. You may find the following web site interesting: Click Here

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, paidagogos. Excellent article by Rick Flanders, a good man and (I'm proud to say) a supporting pastor. I had not read that article, and had not thought before of the point he makes, but I believe he is right. [​IMG]

10. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Very good!!!