1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1984 Arrives in America

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, just a couple quick notes about your stats. A "drunk driving collision" is one in which one driver is DWI. For example, suppose Adam is DWI -Charlie is sober - at an intersection Adam - is leagally and safely going thru - but Charlie runs the red light - and crashes into Adam. Charlie is killed - Adam survives - that collision is considered a DWI collision - even though Adam was not at fault.

This comes under the heading of lets fudge the stats so we can prove our point.

Second, some 50 years ago, 50% all deaths were due to DWI - today - that national average is down around 40 % - in fact all motor vehicle deaths are down, in spite of the fact that there are twice as many drivers in the US. Keeping those stats in mind above - DWI deaths have drastically been reduced.

Mind you - even one DWI death is a tragedy. In my classes I teach - I try to personalize driving.

But all in all, I do see you point.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's what I urge you to do: Don't look at this particular topic (the "see something, say something" screens at Wal-mart).

Look at *all* the things that have happened.

The screens at Wal-mart? No big deal.

The screens at Wal-mart, plus the feds able to put tracers on your vehicle without a warrant, plus TSA pat-downs, plus....

See what I mean?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

>Bill, just a couple quick notes about your stats. A "drunk driving collision" is one in which one driver is DWI. For example, suppose Adam is DWI -Charlie is sober - at an intersection Adam - is leagally and safely going thru - but Charlie runs the red light - and crashes into Adam. Charlie is killed - Adam survives - that collision is considered a DWI collision - even though Adam was not at fault.

Yes, same as smoking death statistics and I suppose a way used to bad mouth anything we don't like.

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

#25 poncho, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2010
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Salty,

This general decline in motor vehicle deaths over the last 50 years probably has to do with the fact of safety requirements and innovation of the auto manufacturers:

e.g. Seat belts, air bags, safety glass, ABS, safety enhanced car body and frame design, etc...

All good IMO. To make it better add: Sober, alert, law-abiding, defensive drivers.

HankD

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me.

But I profile. :thumbs:

8. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I've always wondered if the devices nearly everyone now carries on them can become such a device.:eek:
    They've already been used to track people, though usually regarding some crime.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true - in addition, classes such as the one I teach DDC are also helpful. One the highest fatality rates are teens 16-17 years. Now many states or commonwealths are passing laws, such as no more than two passengers, and ect.

10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep up the good work Salty.

HankD

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, they can. In fact, I believe it's AT&T who has a "service" that you can pay a little extra each month and track your children via their cell phone. You access the web page, and it shows a map with a dot that indicates where your child is at.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

You can get phones equipped with GPS's---you become a "blip" on the government's radar screen!!!!!