1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"1984"

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Berean, May 17, 2013.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Current happenings such as "Bungled" and coverup of the Benghazi incident (terrorist attack), seisure or AP phone records and harrassment of conservative groups I am reminded of Geo Orwells novel, 1984, a tale of totalitarianism and an imposing government written in 1948. In fact I am reading it again. to day we have a lot of people saying, "I love you Big Brother".

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our president recently addressed a graduating class with words that encouraged them to ignore those that don't trust the government. Yet, most people listen to him, and have no problem saying "I love you Big Brother."

Why do you suppose that is?

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read it shortly after it came out and was fascinated but thought it way in the future and that I'd never see the day. 84 passed and it hadn't come to pass but of late .... :-(

And with IRS handling health care, with death panels, humm wonder when they are going to catch up with me - only ha ha ha, I can only go to a better place. :) Yet, for my kids, grand kids and great ones things are going to be hard.

4. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, Ex -- death panels + assisted suicide = "soylent green" ....

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just so they show me the nice pictures and let me listen to the great music as they shove me into the cooking vat :tongue3:

6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Same here. Read it years ago.

Almost the same here. We were never blessed with children. Don't have many years, at most, left before I'm headed Home, one way or another. Leaving behind, nieces and great nieces, nephews and great nephews, who will probably have many years left to endure what the future holds. Unless, our Creator brings about His final resolution within their (& our) lifetimes.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Aldous Huxley's brave new world talked about a scientific dictatorship. Now half the kids in the country are on drugs to control them.

Aldous gave a speech at Berkley in the early 1960's where he predicted the elite class were planning to rule the world using terrorism. His brother Julian was the first "grand poobah" of the United Nations.

?

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our news this morning said that the CDC states that 20% of American children have mental disorders.

Studies and polls are so phony any more. OR states that some terribly high percentage of kids are hungry in the state. The question on the poll the statement was based on was "Have you been hungry anytime in the last 30 days?" What kid isn't going to say yes! In the first place they get breakfast and lunch at school!

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Belief in the constitution and bill of rights is a mental disorder. Thinking children belong to their parents is a mental disorder. Questioning the government is a mental disorder. Eating organic food is a mental disorder. Filtering your water is a mental disorder. Telling the truth is a mental disorder. Owning a gun is a mental disorder. Having empathy towards others is a mental disorder.

Not being a psychopath is a mental disorder.

#9 poncho, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013