1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1and1.com experience?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Sopranette, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Has anybody else had experience with 1and1 web design? I've tried to put up my own website, and they're telling me it may take 24 hours! I've yet to receive a login notice, but I did get a customer satisfactory survey. Go figure!

love,

Sopranette

2. readmore

readmore New Member

I use 1and1--not actively, but I set up a few websites on it awhile ago and they seem to have reliably lasted these last few years. I remember dealing with customer service once and they didn't seem to really know what they were doing, but things ultimately got resolved. What is supposed to take 24 hours, the domain maybe? Initial setup? Other than that, any changes you make should be made within 15 minutes or so.

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, readmore! Yes, the initial set up is what's taking so long. I can't even do any editing until they get things rolling. When I type in my website address, nothing comes up, but I do get a message saying the name I chose is taken as of today. It all just makes me a little nervous. I'm having someone else download all the information and formating it for me.

love,

Sopranette

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

It's not 1and1, it's any web host you go with. When you register a domain name, or move it to another host, it will take a while for it to propagate the domain name. What that means is... there are systems on the web called Domain Name Servers. They are "in control" of letting the web know what name belongs to what ip address. When you register a domain name, the provider sends this information out to the DNS servers and then, after they all get the information, update their host files, your domain shows up.

It's normal to have to wait anywhere from 6-24 hours depending on how often the server updates it's host file.

You should have gotten an IP address, or a local address to use to work on your site while this happens. Not ALL web providers do this, so I am not sure if 1and1 does/did it or not. If not, you will have to wait. You can however work on your site locally and then upload it later.

Jamie

5. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

*Whew* I can breathe a sigh of relief now. My confirmation just came in my email this morning. Now, hopefully, I can get this project started.

love,

Sopranette

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have used 1and1 for 18 months. It has been good for a church without any real web experience.

7. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Thank you, all. Hopefully, I can get this site looking nice and post a link sometime soon. Please be kind, though; it was written at a time before I was saved, and struggling with physical and spiritual issues. But it does have beautiful photos to look at. I want to put it out there, because, well, everyone has a story to tell, right?

love,

Sopranette